8 posts in this topic

I have an old 12' OM heaver with spinning reel. Considering replacing my 20lb P-Line with a braid. I've used braid on conventionals w/o any problems, but hesitant to try it on a spinning reel.

What are your thoughts on using braid on a spinning reel? Will it hurt casting distance?

KM

i put braid on the wifes emcast 4500+, washed down after each use, still corroded the spool. thank god there was an extra spool.

it casted fine, and had no issues with it. i just think the briad hold water and salt. and this i dont like. i might try it again on a reel that has an anodized spool, penn type. although i do prefer the abraision resistance of mono

i put braid on the wifes emcast 4500+, washed down after each use, still corroded the spool. thank god there was an extra spool.

it casted fine, and had no issues with it. i just think the briad hold water and salt. and this i dont like. i might try it again on a reel that has an anodized spool, penn type. although i do prefer the abraision resistance of mono

yup just like what Roger said + on some(if not most) of the older spinning reels the roller on the bail might not hold-up to todays braids as the tuffer braids can cut a groove in the roller. todays spinning reels have over-sized, hardened S/S rollers on the bail just because of this

I have 35# braid on one spinner and 65# on a sharkin reel. The spinner casts nicely with the braid. I discovered the hard way while casting that I should have used a finger protector. Braid acts like a saw. :frown:

I also THINK that braid may float in the water column more so than mono. In my case at night this MAY have caused sharks swimming by to snag it with their teeth and cut it.

All in all it's not bad. I like the extra strength for a smaller diameter line. You will pay a premium for it though. I bought a one pound spool of Tuf Line XP 65#, 14# diameter for $85.00. Don't know how much is on the spool but I'll GUESS about 1000 yards.

I haven't noticed any corrosion of the reels, but they are an old Penn stainless steel 114 and the spinner spools are graphite. All the other reel parts look fine.

I like braid for its strength its size and I love the lack of wind resistance, it doesn't get pulled down the beach as easily.

I tried the braid in the surf and didn't like it. I got a lot of knots in the line when casting. I think people call them wind knots? Anyway I am not a fan of braid in the surf or anywhere there are rocks.

My freshwater muskie fishing is done with braid. It is great stuff in grass or timber!!! Plus I like the no stretch when you need to set the hook on a muskie. HIT THEM AS HARD AS YOU CAN!!!!! But don't get braid near rocks, it will cut quicker than mono.

Here's my $.02:

I use braid exclusively for bottom fishing. It's nice to feel every bump in 100' of water. I don't like it for trolling, I use 50# mono on my trolling reels.

I haven't decided for the surf yet, but am spooled with braid.

Braid should be fine for the surf.

I just don't like to use it at night when there are more Charkies swimming around catching their teeth on it and cutting it.

Maybe it was just my bad luck a few times, but that's what happened...