23 posts in this topic

Ok - I know rub leaders have been discussed to some degree in that the idea is you want the longest rub leader you can cast....

What about the bite leader though?

I'm starting to make some rigs up - and have some malin leaders from 1 to 2+ feet. Wondering if it would be safe to shorten this up a bit to make casting easier - like maybe 3-6 inches? I'd still use about a 4ft lenght of 100lb mono then a 50lb shock leader...

For casting, 4-6 inches should be fine.

when using circle hooks 6 inches should be more then enough, then 5 ft of heavy mono for tail/body leader and hope they don't roll up your line!

I use anywhere from 12 to 24 inches of steel. 3-4 feet of rub line. All depends how far down its gullet it goes. The smaller you go with the steel, the more chances for a bite off when it is chomping the bait for its meal. Lotsa variables, and you could certainly still catch em but 3-6" seems shorter than I would be comfortable with. But some people have luck catching em with only mono, no steel at all. Wouldnt hurt to try if ya can cast it alot better when shortened.

In SC we couldn't get them to bite any steel. 50 lb mono and circle hooks did the job just fine. It only has to be strong enough to withstand a pinch from the teeth and not the back and fourth during a fight since it should set in the corner of the mouth.

That being said my casting rig will be 10-12" malin since I'm going to use a bigger bait.

Ok - sounds like experimentation is in order - I'll makes some short ones and keep the longer ones I already made to try too....since I've never done this before, It will be some trial and error....

did you haywire the malin or crimp it? Have you done it before?

I only ask because the first ones I "tied" looked fine until I put about 30 lbs of pressure on them. Haywires pulled and crimps popped. It's a hell of a thing to sit on the beach for 6 hours and finally get a pickup and then bring back only wire.

EVERYONE coming to the fling should have an idea of what their leader will hold up to. You will have people helping you land sharks in the wash and you need to be able to tell them how much pressure your rig can stand...you can't do that without testing them if you haven't done it before.

GOod point - I did haywires using the dubro tool. Yes, they "LOOK" fine, but i have no idea if I did them correctly. How do you test them?

I have no idea on what mine will hold. 1/16" wire rope, 180lb mono tail leader. 250lb swivels. crimped ends.

I tie onto my deck and then yank away on the cable rigs, I'm 220 and they hold now but I used to crimp too hard and wouldn't get one leg up before you could hear them breaking. On the malin, I fish with 30 lb test so I put the hook in a vise or hook it over something and attach a line of 50 lb test, if that holds and the mono breaks first then I assume I'm good to go.

I think the 1/16 is good to 100lbs provided your crimps are correct. Check it to be sure, you don't want a "friend" to leader your shark and pop the leader and lose it in the wash.

i thought i read that 1/16" was good for like a 500lb working load?

If you dont mind me asking CB where did you get your rope?

so with the hawires i have - my running line is 17lb, so I shouldn't be stressing them too much - but since it's mailin #12, I should be able to put at least most of my weight into it (i'm 170, the wire is rated for 180)

In any case, I'll tie it to something and give a good pull on each - thanks for the reminder!!!

Rub leader?????? :lol:

I normaly use a 24' , 100 # suffix superior shock leader. I can cast over one hundred yards with my cape point special, Penn 545 Mag-t ( 420 yds 20# tritanum main line ) and a eight ounce claw sinker. I use a 8/0 Gamekatsu circle hook with a short 100# malon wire leader and a bloody chunk of bunker.

I don't need any stinking rub leader.:eusa_snooty:

Rub leader??????

I normaly use a 24' , 100 # suffix superior shock leader. I can cast over one hundred yards with my cape point special, Penn 545 Mag-t and a eight ounce sinker.

I don't need any stinking rub leader.

Rub leader?????? :lol: I normaly use a 24' , 100 # suffix superior shock leader. I don't need any stinking rub leader.:eusa_snooty:

If you're using 24 feet of 100lb mono shock, you ARE using a rub leader :lol: In fact, that's 20 feet longer than my planned rub leader...

Seriously, that is something i've considered - replacing my shock/rub leader combo with one big heavy shock to serve both purposes - that would be less knots.... Still mulling this all over in my mind lol

Trowpa

With that heavy leader I use a tournament knot. I am sure you are familiar with the one where you burn the end of the leader and use a nail knot. The big leader really makes for a strong knot. I have made several and all have broken away from the knot above the twenty pound rating of the line. One trick I have learned is that you have to make the burnt ball on the end of the leader larger than the diameter of the line in thickness and make sure it is off center of the line. This way the smaller main line will be straight with the leader and not have to kink around the burnt end. I just let the burnt end sag when I burn it. I will see if I can make some up and post some pictures. It is the smallest knot there is for tying leaders to main line.

cool thanks. yeah I haven't used a shock before at all - this sharking will be my first time for that as well (I think we exchanged some messges earlier in another thread on shock knots) so i have to pick the knot that will work for me too! So many variables to play with - part of what makes it fun....