Sam

How does this effect fishing?

10 posts in this topic

I think it helps and hurts. it will muddy-up the waters but it can also stirr/bring-up bottom dwellers like crabs, sand fleas, tube worms & shellfish

I for one would like to see them spend some $$$ on dredging the back bay from behind both islands and using that spoils to re-plenish the the beaches

Beach replenishment never gives way to good surf fishing,,,I think the north end is referring to the area north of the state park which may have minimal impact on the area we fish, the national park and south.

Not to go off in a tangent but here it goes,,,I understand the economic importance of protecting ocean city but not sure about investing in AI,,,I know there is great concern about the area just south of the inlet,,,I know many areas along the western sinipuxent shore are concerned about breaches during storms,,,when a breach occurs during a storm, more water piles up in the back bay and creates severe flooding on the western shore of sinipuxent like snug harbor and the new development, Bayside,,,not sure what they were thinking developing Bayside, but the next big one, with a major breach, they will be hit just as bad as Snug Harbor,,,I also know there is some concern for areas in west OC as well,,,I guess its needed, it just bugs me that they sit there and develop new communities like Bayside who are only destined to be flooded out during major breaches,,,snug harbor and west oc have been there forever and developers have seen what occurs during major storms there, yet somehow they get approved for another large community right in the danger zone,,,all I can say is, I dont want to here anyone complain in that new development when the flooding begins, you bought there, you gotta live with the potentail side effects,,,dont start crying for the corp of engineers for help,,,sorry for venting and going off on a tangent, it just bugs where they put some of these new communities who later cry for help!,,,trust me, they know what they are getting into buying that kind of real estate,,,live with it or dont buy!

IMO - anytime man tries to control nature it does more harm than good. Remember the mississippi flooding in the 90's? New Olreans? Water will find a way to follow its natural course eventually..... Beaches naturally should shift and change - just because Man wants his "ocean front" real estate - doesn't change that fact...

First, Sam, it won't change anything where we fish on AI for fishing or OC for that matter. They dredge from way out and pump it in. Like has already been said, muddies the water a bit from the runoff but that's about it. You DARN sure don't want to swim in it, could get bit by Charkey...

Second, I agree with Coop and Trowpa. They want their high dollar wood & plastic shacks on the water, then they should suffer the consequences without taking money out of MY pocket. Bush was right and the sea will always take what she wants. They will get their money to protect the areas from the Homeland Security budget. It's all just a big slush fund anyway because they can classify the commerce of the area under it.

How many $2M shacks do we have to see fall from their pilings into the sea??? Yeah, and we have to pay for it....

Oh, anyway, fishing should be fine in spite of the work.

Ok, I'm off the soap box too...

(soap box, yeah, some political housecleaning is in order)

Beach replenishment is going on big time in the emerald coast of Florida. It is a ecological disaster on epic proportions. It kills the living layer of sand that that is the foundation of life for all fish that lives in that environment. It takes five years or more for the sand to recover. The dredged sand kills the sand fleas, crabs, worms, and all microscopic organisms in the sand by covering them in tons of sand. It is like clear cutting a rain forest. The larger fish like kings and whiting that depend on the crabs and sand fleas have nothing to eat. They will die or move on. Same with larger fish like black drum and sharks. Sand replenishment is a very bad thing for all concerned. The only people who like it is the big money developers who don’t want the fishermen on there beach anyway. Where are the echo-Nazis when you need them.

Hmmm -. "Ocean City Mayor Jim Mathias added, “The residents and visitors of Ocean City, Maryland express their gratitude to Senators Sarbanes and Mikulski ...."

I guess the Mayor of OC doesn't fish.....

I think it would be just like having a hurricane hit ya going to have a lot of sand move around either be sucked out or pushed up on the beach. We all have seen how AI coast line can change in a day or two one day there's a point sticking out and the next it's almost gone. I can remember back in the 70's when OC did some of it's first replenishment back then if I remember right they hauled in the sand rather then pump it in form offshore.. less smell that way.

Hurricanes do damage the sand and cause havoc in the surf zone and in bays and estuaries. This is a natural process of nature. The coastal eco system is very fragile indeed. I can remember what Agnes and David did to OC and the Chesapeake Bay.

As far as the mayor of OC fishing or not I do not know. I have never met the man. However he will have better luck fishing in his swimming pool as fishing in a newly replenished beach (or one heavily damaged by hurricane). It will take years before the beach recovers fully. One other thing, I do not believe the statistics of the people demanding the dredging take place.

The problem in Florida is the hurricane damaged the beaches (a natural process) get a second disaster when the beach is at its most vulnerable state after a hurricane. This is when the developers stress the beach echo system even more by the beach replenishment process.

The beach will recover. It will take time. Commercial and Sports fisheries will suffer. Beach Developers do not care about commercial or sport fisheries or the surf zone echo system. The larger beach looks good to them and it puts money in there pocket.

Beach Developers do not care about commercial or sport fisheries or the surf zone echo system. The larger beach looks good to them and it puts money in there pocket.

THat pretty much sums it all up - pretty depressing... Anyone know when this is all supposed to take place?

Thats right the beach will return to normal, always does..... Just so everyone knows when the next big one hits I will be strapped to the top of the Pyramid Condo building(70' concrete pilings) so I can watch all these million dollar summer homes get washed out to sea:icon_twisted: :icon_twisted: :icon_twisted: :icon_twisted: Laughing my butt off the whole time. Will they ever learn that mother nature will always take back what is hers?