5 posts in this topic

I was wondering what everyone thought was the best way to attach a shock leader to you main line. Should i use a knot,swivel, or sleeve?

Welcome to the forum.

OK First the shock leader is used to prevent breaking the main line during a cast. During a cast a five ounce sinker can exert enough force to break 17 pound line. Shock leaders are heaver line that is long enough to wrap around the reel five times or more while still having enough line out to cast. Twenty five feet is a normal sized shock leader. The rule of thumb is to use ten pounds of shock leader line for each ounce of sinker. So if you use a four ounce sinker you will need to use a forty pound shock leader. Six ounce sinker, sixty pound shock leader and so on.

You will not be able to use a swivel to attach your shock leader to the main line because it will not fit through your eyelets on your rod. Remember the shock leader must wrap around the reel five times.

Sleeves should never be used on mono surf rigs (with the exception of very large shark rigs) because the crimp caused a forty percent derogation of the line strength (steel or braded wire is a different story). Learn how to tie knots.

Knots are what you need to do the job. Most people use the Albright knot, Standard leader Knot or the tournament knot. You can Google these knots. I use the standard leader knot for most applications and the tournament knot on my eight and bait rods.

I use the arbor knot to tie my main line to the spool. I use the standard leader knot to tie my shock leader to the main line. I use the grinner knot to tie my shock leader to the snap swivel.

Im using a double uni-knot on line to line and a single uni-knot to lures. I use to-do the Bimini Twist but it takes awhile todo and can be difficult for most to tie.

I tie blood knots with my mono. Haven't had any trouble with them once I got it down pat.