Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Dave

June 2017 fishing reports

8 posts in this topic

Unfortunately may wasn't the best for striped bass but for those whom tried and put their time in a few were rewarded. I managed 6 striper this spring way lower than what I normally get but I believe they passed by early. Anyway into the summer time critters, sand tigers are thick right now, sandbars are showing up, some big blues still around, flounder are arriving and kingfish are here. If you head out post your reports wed love to hear about your trip. 

So I went out the last 2 nights, first night was sandtigers all night of all sizes. Last night was slow but did catch a sandtiger previously tagged. Had one good hard takedown, picked up the rod, tightened the drag and all heck broke loose. Whatever took my chunk of fish started thrashing and head shaking then ran for spain. Not a lightning fast run but there was no stopping it. First time I've gotten spooled in a long time. If it was a shark it was huge, I can turn 8 ft sharks without an issue and this beast wasn't having it.

1 person likes this

Wow!  Only time I got spooled was by a ray.  Sure it was 'cause it stopped several times.  Acted like I wasn't even there...

1 person likes this

That was my biggest draw to summer time fishing - the unknown, unstoppable beasts.. Got a few on the sand, but there were a few that wouldn't have any of it. 

Lots of blacktips and spinner shark in the surf, odd year for sure. The blacktip and spinners have been in good numbers for 2 weeks now highly unusual this early in the year. Landed and tagged a nice 76" spinner tonight. Definitely gave me a run for my money. 

20170617_044747.jpg

Big boys are in town! Nice job and thanks for the reports. :D

Thanks for the reports Dave! I've been out of commission since the end of May with wrist tendonitis.  Can't cast, let alone tangle with big critters.  Hope to be back out in a couple weeks!

Sorry to hear Freddie I know how it feels. Get better soon bro. Lots of blacktips in the surf, big sandtigers and butterfly rays.