17 posts in this topic

Well April ended on a good note, black drum have shown up, chopper blues definitely made their presence known and during the last week of April the striper have started showing in the surf. Now is the time to get out and fish. Post your reports here fish or no fish, we still want to here em. Be safe and have fun hope to see yall out there.

3 people like this

I've been pretty jammed up with other projects, but I am hoping to sneak out for a few days next week. :) 

Sam with this crap weather you ain't missing much...

1 person likes this

Blues this afternoon 24"-30" on bunker chunks & artificials on light tackle. Not striped, but still fun!

Freddie, Same here blues all day not a blitz bit steady. Weather was crap.

Tomorrow looks like a bust. None of the weather sites can seem to agree on sunday though.

Those blues on light tackle are so much fun. Especially when the hit artificial. 😀

Freddie today wasn't too bad but I didn't stay out long, blues again. 

Out today and finally got my first big striper on a plug from the surf. 43" on a 3 ounce popper. Caught a 25" striper and a 38" on fleas.

20170514_091149.jpg

Nice work Dave! Skate city right now.  

Thanks guys I'll be out again soon for sure.

From MD ocean waters, any striper on artificials is one for the books. Let alone 43"!  I fished 6 rods hard with bait from midnight to 6am, but with artificials I lose patience after a couple dozen casts & start working the bait rods again.

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Freddie, I won't plug endlessly without a sign what I'm targeting is nearby, I caught a 25" on flea so I knew striper were around I chose a popper and tosses around the same area for a few hours until it hit. If I don't see signs of life I don't bother plugging, but honestly I've been trying to get a big striper on plugs from the surf here for years, the inlet and bays no problem but it took 4 years of trying before I got one there.

Edited by Dave

It's been a hard spring run with few fish but they are around. Out tonight trying for striper and landed a 6 ft sandtiger it seems everything is running 3 weeks early this year.

20170519_220451.jpg

2 people like this

Nice toothie dave! You said they'd be early...

1 person likes this

Thanks Freddie, after 3 biteoffs I switched rigs and low and behold Shark are here. I usually don't get my first sizeable shark until the second week of june