36 posts in this topic

Well it's April and that means it's time to hit the surf, not much news yet on black drum but short striper have shown up in the inlet and assawoman Bay as well as of the piers in oc. Won't be long till the big girls show. Post your reports here wed love to hear them.

1 person likes this

Good luck everyone!

Out back today managed a 37" striper

Lots of short striped bass in the surf the last 2 days with just as many black drum. Spring has finally shown up.

Nice Dave! I'm hoping to make my first trip out next weekend.  Any size to the blackies?

Freddie, biggest was 32" average in mid 20's. Yesterday short striper all day long at times only able to fish one rod. Between myself and 3 friends we landed over 40 striper. Never seen the little guys so thick. No size to them tho with the biggest being 20" and an average of 15"

1 person likes this

Nice! Those mid 20's black drum are some of my favorite to eat.

Lots of little Rock in the surf this past week, black drum have shown up and just this eve the big chomper blues made there showing, lost one in the wash and landed one at 36" the one I lost felt heavier than the 36.

A few hours this morning....lots of chomper Blues.  Great seeing Sam and Dave!  

1 person likes this

Good seeing you again Scott! We were non stop all day with big blues. Epic day.

samuel-fishing-assateague-sky.jpg

sam-dave-bluefish-frenzy.jpg

assateague-bluefish.jpg

IMG_20170419_154716993_HDR.jpg

Another fun day with sam and son. Sam managed a nice black drum and a few big chopper blues, I had a little striper, 8 chopper blues and wicked sunburn but we'll worth it. Yesterday was insane when we encountered the blue blitz easily over 30 chopper blues over 30 inches.

Perfect day on Assateague island! It's shaping up to be a fantastic year! 

received_1087794051324582.jpeg

IMG_20170420_185440712.jpg

IMG_20170420_182031058.jpg

Great reports & pics guys! I'm gonna taste the salt air for the first time this year this weekend & next week if I can dodge the thunderstorms.  Sam, looks like you've got a fishing buddy for life now.  Congrats!

Excellent pics!  

Went out a few hours after work...much quieter but managed a chomper blue and a nice size black drum.

We must've just missed you coop, day 3 for us was just as good. Samuel got his first black drum in the mid 20's on his own. He also got a short striper. He's becoming a great Angler and has one of the best teachers as a dad. I managed 2 black drum in the mid to high 20's with the biggest at 29" Sam had a black drum same size range and brandon got a blackie and short striper. So this week has been one to remember for Sam and i.

IMG_20170421_234235_621.jpg

Found the infamous worms while cleaning a black drum tonight. I found two in the bloodline and were very easy to remove. Apparently they are harmless when cooked with the fish and often eaten by accident. 

The drum this was caught in was about 26". 

Anyone else ever find these?

IMG_20170421_235931384.jpg

Great memories were made today!

After two days of learning the art of casting, digging sand fleas, baiting hooks and waiting, Samuel landed his first fish from the surf. 

This short striper, however was not the highlight of his day... 

About an hour before this pic was taken, Samuel experienced his first hard take down. I mean rod bending in half and line peeling! 

Before I could even speak, he was out of his chair and putting his back into it, reeling and tugging. On light tackle, he fought a big black drum into the wash. As I ran for the camera, Dave went into the wash to help land it.  As he grabbed the fish, the line snapped and the outgoing wave knocked it out of his hands. After a brief fumble, the black got it's bearings and headed east right into the next wave. 

We were all elated and heart broken at the same time. Fighting a big fish in the surf for the first time is an amazing feeling that never goes away and I'm glad I was there to see it happen for my son. 

A big thanks to David Moore for helping with the gear, moral support and so much more. 

I'm so proud of my boy.. Three days of hard fishing and not one complaint or grumble. A born fisherman through and through.

received_1088932397877414.jpeg

Another nice drum this afternoon caught on fleas.

IMG_20170421_184309229_HDR.jpg

excellent!  Thats is a perfect size for the dinner...Darn things have scales of armor.

Glad to be a part of that experience Sam, great times with many more to come

Way to go glad you guys are still getting them. Wish I could have stayed a couple more days. Will try to get back down this wed. or thur. hope the rock soon make an appearance ! Sam tell your son Congrats

1 person likes this

Good to see you again rattletrap! I will tell Samuel for sure. He's still pumped up.

April report is killing me, I need to drive to AI for some sand- ocean therapy, you guys did have a lot of fun this month... good luck the one coming 🤙🤙

1 person likes this

Heading out Friday. For the first time this year!!!

1 person likes this

3 minutes ago, Forreel said:

Heading out Friday. For the first time this year!!!

Good luck! It should be a nice day. Let us know how you make out. :D