Freddie

Bait rods

10 posts in this topic

Ok, this section seems a little stagnant & I could use some input.  So, for my first legitimate post on this forum, what do you guys prefer for in close bait rods(spot, croaker, kingfish, etc.), spinning or conventional & why?

All I use is conventional gear, just a matter of preference. I use a st. Croix MOJO 10ft 6 rated 3/4 to 4 for my bait rod. Long enough to cast out far if needed to find fish but also sensitive. It also has enough backbone if a bigger fish decides to grab my fishbites lol. Landed a 40" rock last spring on a small striper of fishbites on a high lo rig with little size 2 hooks lol.

1 person likes this

Thanks Dave.  I've switched all of my go to heavers over to conventional.  Upgrading bait rods now & wanted to see if there was a downside that I wasn't seeing in going conventional with them too.

I havent really had any downsides

All my reels including the ones I use to catch bait are conventionals.

Thanks guys.  I've got 2 CPS 11' 2-5oz on the way.  Thinkin they should be just about right.  Should look pretty good with 6500 chrome rockets on em too.

2 people like this

Let us know how that combo works for ya.

Will do.  I am very impressed with the CPS products and customer service so far.  Come on spring!!!

1 person likes this

On 2/13/2017 at 6:03 PM, Dave said:

All I use is conventional gear, just a matter of preference. I use a st. Croix MOJO 10ft 6 rated 3/4 to 4 for my bait rod. Long enough to cast out far if needed to find fish but also sensitive. It also has enough backbone if a bigger fish decides to grab my fishbites lol. Landed a 40" rock last spring on a small striper of fishbites on a high lo rig with little size 2 hooks lol.

Another information to be added to my list. I'm learning a lot from these threads. ^_^

1 person likes this

Thanks, if you have any questions feel free to ask may not be super active on here but anything you ask will ger answered. Pass the site on to your friends.