Sam

delaware fishing report
Delaware Division of Fish and Wildlife Fishing Report

1 post in this topic

delaware-division-fish-wildlife.jpg
Delaware Division of Fish and Wildlife Fishing Report
Updated: Dec. 22, 2016

DELAWARE BAY

The recent up and down weather has made fishing, let alone catching, very difficult. When we have a temperature that swings from 70 to 20 and gale force winds not even mad dogs and Englishmen go out.

The forecast is looking better, but I have no idea if there will be any rockfish left in the bay or the Rips when the boats finally get away from the dock. I have no doubt that anglers will be out there and that is the only way we can tell if the fish are available.

Further up the bay I would expect to find white perch in the tidal rivers and creeks. Some may also be caught from the piers at Woodland Beach and Port Mahon. Bloodworms or earthworms will be the best baits.

INSHORE OCEAN

If the weather settles down before the end of the year, there should be some good sea bass action beyond the 20-Fathom Line. The problem will be finding a captain willing to run during Christmas week. The same situation will occur if you want to catch tog.

SURF FISHING

Even the most radical surf caster is unlikely to go out in 20-degree temperatures and 40-knot winds. I did see a surf report from Sunday when the high was 70 degrees, unfortunately, no fish were caught.

FRESHWATER 

Red Mill Pond did have skim ice late last week, but it was gone on Saturday. Still, these 50 degree temperature changes are bound to confuse the bass, crappie and pickerel. If you decide to do some pond fishing I believe live bait will be your best bet.

HAPPY HOLIDAYS!

Source: http://www.dnrec.delaware.gov/fw/fisheries/pages/fishingreport.aspx