SteveZ

Hooks in the surf

15 posts in this topic

I am by no means any kind of expert, but I do have some favorite hooks.

For red drum I like Gami Big Eyes in 9/0. They are snelled with 150# Jinkai about an inch and a half long. I use SPRO 1/0 swivels. A new hook I tried this past season is the Mustad Demon Perfect 1X Wide Gap 39948NP-BN in 11/0. This hook is about the same size as the Gami. I did catch a 50+" drum on it.

For stripers I like Mustad Demon Perfect 39954NP-BN in 10/0. I snell these with Big Game 130# about 2" long and the same SPRO 1/0 swivel. They work well for sand fleas. Of course, any hook suitable for drum will work well for stripers and vice versa.

For bait I like the Mustad Demon Circle 1X Fine Wire 39954BLN in size 1. I typically tie rigs with 40# Big Game and am not particular about hardware.

Obviously there are plenty of different hooks out there that will work for you. But these are the ones I like, and I am a pretty particular guy.

I really like those Gami Big Eyes but boy they are expensive!

Just another thing to keep in mind they are stainless steal so they won't rust out fast like other hooks should you break a fish off.

I used to really like the mustad circle demon hooks but the gap was a little too narrow for me. I used to bend them to off-set the hook but that really defeats the purpose of the circle hooks.

Steve, those mustad 39948 hooks are newer versions of the old model. I've tried them just not happy with how quick they dull out. I've been using the mustad 39960 16/0, they match the gami big eyes to a t except a fraction of the price. I use them all summer for the toothies and drum in the fall. I've tried an eagle claw hook I really like but they are hard to get. I can't recall the part number right now but they are one of 2 hooks approved for use for long lining in the Gulf of Mexico. They are big, nice gap and thin. Kinda like the old mustad 39948. They are considered a weak circle hook. They are used by long liners to reduce the number of bluefin tuna by catch because they will straighten if a bluefin hits them. I used them this summer and love them. Can only get them in big bulk orders of 1000 tho commercially.

Yep, that 39948 does tend to dull quickly. But they are hooks, and hooks are expendable. They are a wide gap hook. Now that $$ Big Eye...darn things last forever so methinks you do get your money's worth. I dunno. I tend to use whatever I feel like at the moment just so long as it is a quality piece of tackle. Ain't gonna fish with no junk...

I don't blame you there steve. I'll look for that eagle claw part number, I honestly believe you'll like them.

Great info guys! I've got so much to learn, it's ridiculous. The one thing I do know is I get obsessed with keeping those hooks sharp.

Somebody, and I cannot remember who, told me once that circle hooks do not need to be super sharp. His theory, which I think has some merit, is that the hook needs to slide around into the corner of the jaw and then penetrate. I know when I used to use those sticky sharp offset Gami octopus circle hooks that I'd sometimes get hookups in other parts of the mouth. And I know I had a lot more fish come unglued then. Gimme a big ol' non-offset circle hook in the corner of the jaw and that fish is gonna end up on the beach. And I know I don't get so super upset when a hook isn't sticky sharp anymore...just so it is sharp enough.

Ahhh, that makes sense Steve.. thanks for the extra peace of mind!

Steve, I'm the same way, I don't sharpen circles unless they dull from use, which honestly I don't keep them on that long to dull. I switch out hooks religiously. 2 trips hooks get changed out. The gami go for around 12 to 15 for a 3 pack. Crazy high for hooks.

not sure if u have a gander mountain close by but they sell 3 packs for 9.99.. they also have 20% off holiday sales quite often .... make them a lil easier to swallow

Jeff - We must be talking different hooks. I'm not sure GM even sells Gami Big Eye Circle hooks like we use on the surf. Like Dave said they typically cost around $12 for a pack of 3 9/0 hooks.

Welcome to the board! Good to see folks participating. Where do you fish?

i fish next to you.... and my local gander has them in stock tho i can't find them on there site ... tax and all 9.61 a pack

Well I don't really need any but next time you see 'em 3 pks for $10 pick me up a few. Can't pass up a deal like that.

black friday comming up soon maybe even a better deal ... I will fix you up

1 person likes this