17 posts in this topic

Does everyone drive with there rods in the cooler rack down the highway? Im just worried about the clearance issues going under over passes etc. Does anyone know what the min. clearance is for bridges, tunnels, etc?

Mine is on the back and sits lower so there is not to much I worry about when it come to clearance but front racks can have some problems.

Hoax, I think that the maximum truck height is 13' 6", but usually if the clearance is less than 14' most state's DOT will post a sign with the actual clearance. But a bigger threat are low hanging telephone and cable wires. I once had a boat with a fixed tower that needed 14' of clearance, and managed to snag a few on some side streets...:shock:

Those folks needed to get out from in front of the idiot box and go fishing anyway!

The top of my 12' rods in the cooler rack is like 13'-5". Just worried about hitting something. I have to go through the harbor tunnel and the bay bridge.

If you go thur some tunnel don't listen to who's in the booths they are not all way right had a freind of mine went thur one and the gril said he would clear by the time he got to the other side his 12'er was an 11'er. So for safty you might want to break down you rods when going in to tunnels.

yup, better safe than sorry, for long road trips I always break down my rods and carry them in the back of the truck or car (whatever I happen to be driving) Once I reach the destination I start carrying them around in the rod holders. I don't want all that road grime on my rod, and what happens if a stray rock catches one of the rods......you may never know it happened until that fish strikes and your rod snaps in two.

This is very true. I think I will just break them down until i get down there

You guys answered a question I had forgot to ask. Hoax, I guess the best thing to do is the same thing I need to do, build a horizontal rack...

In my case and probably Hoax's, a cooler rack would be in order so the water from the bait cooler drains onto the sand instead of the bed of the truck.

Shucks, would'a been nice to stash the rods there too.

My only fear is ( and i have had this happen to me be4) is the rods in the bed of the truck and slamming against the bed of the truck and breaking. I have a soft cover on the bed of my truck and i bungee my rods to the metal supports along the top so they dont slide and i can pack stuff underneath the rods. I just hate to break down my rods. They are in my garage rigged up and ready to go lol.

Roll the rods up in a sleeping bag...

Like Steve said, Roll them up in some kind of blanket. I make two trips a year to Hatteras and we break down the rods. bunch them togather then wrap with velcro straps and then wrap them in a blanket and set them on top of other equipment in the back of the truck under the tonneau cover. Has worked fine for over ten years with no problems.

Ron

Oh yeah, take the reels off the rods before you load them in the back of the truck. Carry the reels in a bag. Without the reels on there, the rod will lay flat creating less of an opportunity to break.

I wanted a rod rack to but looked around and saw the same things, clearance issues. So this wouldn't work for me either. What I did was get some schedule 40 PVC pipe cut to the size I needed, glued a solid plug on one end and a screw-on cleanout cap on the other. This lets me either put the tube on the roof rack or in the bed of my Avalanche and I don't worry about doing any harm to my rods. Each tube will hold 2 to 3 rods depending on guide size.

Well, I suppose you could buy the $40 case from BPS, holds 3 surf poles.

Broken down it's 8 sections. That's what I use when traveling by airline.

Might be neater to do the horizontal PVC thingey though, paint 'em to match your sand buggy.

And you can run a cable through to lock 'em in too.

Steve, I think it cost me between $15.00 to $18.00 to do each rod tube not as neat looking as a rod and cooler rack but they do the job.

for now, I just velcro mine flat on the roof-rack of the Escape. got a piece of round foam on the front crossbar and tuck the rod butts under the rear crossbar and velcro the front around the rods and foam covered frt crossbar. so far they have passed the 80mph test:)