4 posts in this topic

Ok, so I found a place that will rent me a single kayak for $75 or a tandem for $105 for the week down in Myrlte Beach. The only accessory they offer is a backrest though. Is there an inexpensive style rod holder that will mount on a plastic sit on top Kayak without damaging the boat? I know, nothing like waiting until the last min to look into stuff, but I figure some fishing for King and Spanish Makerel and Blues from a kayak would be a fun way to spend a couple days.....

not a 100% sure but I think most of the rod holders are going to need drilling or bolting, you might be able to rig something up, some of the rigs I have seen are pretty crazy.

The only thing I can think of to do in a SOT without damaging the kayak would be to use the scupper holes to put your rod butt in. Once you get moving the weight of the lure should keep the rod in fine. I would attach it to the boat somehow. When I am landing a fish in my yak this is where I put the rod since my holders are difficult to reach.

Try a milk crate or something similar. Bungee a piece or two of pvc to it and bungee the whole shebang to the yak. You can also bungee the rods into the holders to keep em in place. Bungee, Bungee.