Skylar

02.08.2014 wind Conference, Short report!

1 post in this topic

Fish Report 2/8/14 <o:p></o:p>

Short Report!!<o:p></o:p>

Another Tautog Trip <o:p></o:p>

Wind Conference <o:p></o:p>

<o:p> </o:p>

Tog Trip - Sunday, February 9th – 6:30AM to 4PM - $125.00 - 14 Anglers Sells Out.. Looks To Be An Extraordinary Calm. Expect A Very Long Run.. <o:p></o:p>

The fishing hasn't been all that, but its the best I can offer.. <o:p></o:p>

If you're looking for a lot of action – look elsewhere. <o:p></o:p>

This heart of winter toggin & can be very tough. Skunks always possible.<o:p></o:p>

Reservations For Tautog Trips at 410 - 520 - 2076 — They Answer 24/7. <o:p></o:p>

LEAVE YOUR BEST POSSIBLE CONTACT NUMBER - Weather Cancelations Are Common - I Make Every Attempt To Let Clients Sleep In If The Weather's Not Going Our Way.. <o:p></o:p>

We provide green crabs. You're welcome to bring any kind of crab you like – even lobster, even plastic. <o:p></o:p>

If You Book — BE SURE TO LEAVE A GOOD CONTACT NUMBER & DON'T TURN YOUR PHONE OFF! <o:p></o:p>

No Live Fish Leave The Boat - Dead & Bled - Period. (I Believe The Live-Fish Black Market Has Hurt The Tog Fishery, But Not As Much As Bad Sea Bass Regulations)<o:p></o:p>

Agreed With Or Not, All Regulations Observed – Maryland: 4 Tog @ 16 Inches – Sea Bass Are Closed. <o:p></o:p>

Bring A (not terribly big) Fish Cooler With ICE (or fresh snow) For Your Party.. A 48 QT Cooler Is Good For 2 Guys. Even Now You Should ICE Fresh Fish.. <o:p></o:p>

Be A Half Hour Early - We Like To Leave Early.<o:p></o:p>

Clients Arriving Late Will See The West End Of An East Bound Boat.. <o:p></o:p>

If You Won't Measure & Count Your Fish The State Will Provide A Man With A Gun To Do It For You. We Measure & Count — ALWAYS — No Exceptions!<o:p></o:p>

8,412 "Oyster Castle" reef blocks by the rail – 2,452 at Jimmy's Reef – 1,588 at Ake's – 312 at Lindsey Power's Isle of Wight Reef.. <o:p></o:p>

See the Reef Foundation's Website ocreefs.org if you'd care to help fund our reef building. Or snailmail a check – any check!<o:p></o:p>

Ocean City Reef Foundation<o:p></o:p>

P.O. Box 1072

Ocean City, MD 21843 <o:p></o:p>

My @mediacombb email address is a memory. Please use mhawkins@siteone.net for correspondence. Yes, its a very old address and fills w/spam occasionally.. <o:p></o:p>

Greetings All, <o:p></o:p>

Had a science trip go south on me mid-week – snow. Ended up with 4 anglers and no scientists. <o:p></o:p>

Lucky them. <o:p></o:p>

Steady bite. Passenger limit. <o:p></o:p>

I was personally able to tag & release 3 dandies to 14 pounds. <o:p></o:p>

On today's shorter trip (Fri 2/7) there were no limits. However, we did have a couple fish over 10 pounds & a dandy of 17lbs 3oz. <o:p></o:p>

I released a 11 or 12 pound female that seemed to swim away strong <o:p></o:p>

..then she popped back up. <o:p></o:p>

Rats. <o:p></o:p>

I'd have rather had the release than dinner.. <o:p></o:p>

Made for a day. <o:p></o:p>

If you're looking for a lot of action – look elsewhere. <o:p></o:p>

This is heart of winter toggin & can be very tough. Skunks always possible. <o:p></o:p>

Went up to the MAFMC's Wind Power conference Wed/Thurs. <o:p></o:p>

They had invited 3 commercial fishermen from the UK who were deeply involved with the windmills there. We also heard from BOEM – Bureau of Ocean Energy Management. <o:p></o:p>

They're coming, wind power's on its way. Been working with MD's Coastal Management Program for 4 or 5 years seems like.. http://www.boem.gov/uploadedFiles/BOEM/Renewable_Energy_Program/State_Activities/MD%20Energy%20Administration%20Presentation.pdf <o:p></o:p>

These things are already pushing 500 feet – They'll be bigger time they get here. <o:p></o:p>

Towers are getting bigger, different designs are in consideration. Turbines are getting bigger too, with an accompanying increase in blade length. <o:p></o:p>

Ones we were shown were massive. <o:p></o:p>

Guys from the UK had a lot of info to offer. <o:p></o:p>

Tales of rock being covered-over by sediment scour-plumes even miles away, but an escalating whelk fishery (what we call conch) tight to the windmills in a sort of de facto trawl-protected area. <o:p></o:p>

Its going to be a big deal. A big pain in the neck too. Construction will disrupt fishing for years & years.<o:p></o:p>

Said on the screen they were looking for ways to "minimize adverse impacts to fishing." <o:p></o:p>

Looked to me like we ought to instead be looking for ways our new marine partner can help make fishing better than it's ever been. <o:p></o:p>

That's where we need to look. <o:p></o:p>

Big Industry & Big .guv.. <o:p></o:p>

Little fishing businesses. <o:p></o:p>

I anticipate getting our new partner's attention won't be simple. <o:p></o:p>

Will try. <o:p></o:p>

Lots of irons in the fire. Too many really. <o:p></o:p>

Most important for the moment is turning sea bass management back in the right direction. <o:p></o:p>

No one at all believes NY Private boats caught more sea bass in two summer months that the entire East Coast's party/charter fleet caught all year. <o:p></o:p>

But they're going to use that estimate & others to further restrict our season. <o:p></o:p>

Plenty of work..<o:p></o:p>

Going fishing when weather allows. <o:p></o:p>

Regards,<o:p></o:p>

Monty <o:p></o:p>

Capt. Monty Hawkins <o:p></o:p>

mhawkins@siteone.net <o:p></o:p>

Partyboat Morning Star<o:p></o:p>

http://morningstarfishing.com <o:p></o:p>