10 posts in this topic

I think my leaders are too heavy and may be causing some problems. Does anyone run a malin leader? I'm only fishing 30 lb test so I don't see too much point in a 300 lb cable outside of beaching the chark.

How do I do it? Haywire? How heavy can you go and still haywire it?

You can do a haywire by hand with #19 Malin, it's hard though. You can buy a small tool that wraps it, couple-few bucks. Anywhere between 12-19 Malin will suffice. I think I have 12 & 19 at the moment.

Currently I'm using crimps but a Capt told me to haywire instead.

He doesn't wrap the exposed metal either. Some say the metal scares the Chark off.

Thirty lb test? For a tossing or yaking rig??

yak, I know I know. Couldn't spring for the huge reel just yet so instead of 450 yds of 40 I fit on a mix of 30 lb braid and 30 lb mono of about 800 yards. You can land any fish with any rod providing you have a good drag and enough line right? I'm a bit of a light tackle nut, hopefully I can get the chark in without exhausting it and still be able to get a good release. I mean I landed a 5fter on a 8ft spinning rod with 15 lb line so this is HEAVY stuff for me.

I have 30lb for casting as well...first real good breakoff I'll be ordering a $1K setup.

I've heard about the metal. I'm not totally opposed to a 100lb mono line if using circles. You either hook em in the mouth or totally miss the hookup so you really don't need to worry outside of a small bite leader for the first chomp.

Yep, you can land a 250# fish on 20# if you have 1000 yds.

I'm sure you can do it with less. :D

Two things about light tackle...

You MIGHT really wear out the fish, not good for release.

You wear yourself out, at least I would be....

And of course....

All of your other poles bend over while you are on the one.

I went last night and bought 1/16 wire rope. I think it should work. Tell me if this will work.... 9/0 Penn j-hook to 2' 1/16" wire rope, 250 lbs swivel, 6-7' 150 mono to another swivel.

I'm more worried about the chark getting tired, I'll have plenty of takers willing to reel for a while if I wear out. If I knew for sure I could break off at the knot I'd lock up the drag if it takes more then an hour. Much bigger rod in the works for next season.

anything will work...just not all the time. People have had plenty of success on that setup and will continue to, for some reason I haven't. The real benefit of it is in that last 10 yards when you can leader the fish on the beach. I will have to tail rope it if I downsize my leader.

My setup now is wire cable and I was concerned about the exposed wire and diameter of the leader. From what I saw on my dropoff near the chum I should have had something at least move the bait around.

I heard you can use electrial tape to tape up the exposed wire. Dont know how well it will hold but i have also heard that it really doesnt matter being exposed

Is the question, are sharks scared of the wire leader?

I went out with my pop a couple times sharking on a boat and would say they are not skidish when it comes to metal or anything else,,,had a chum bucket tied to a large diameter rope and he went right after it and the bucket was right next to the boat,,,had to pull the bucket up,,,I really dont think they are leader shy,,,when they want it, they are going to take it,,,if you think its a wire leader,,,just make it short, maybe a foot or two followed by heavy mono.

I had success with this set up: I think I am using #12, between 3' and 5' with a haywire twist,,,bought a tool to do the twist and makes a very nice twist and simple to do,,,will not work on heavy malin wire,,,I also use 15-20' 250 lb mono for grabbing the shark,,,I find beaching a really large shark is much quicker just grabbing the leader and pulling him in,,,saves the shark from getting to exhausted but you definitley catch a large on lighter tackle.