57 posts in this topic

Last night I hacked up all my left over bait from the weekend. 5 tuny heads and bodies, 10-15 bunker, some shrimp, and a skate. It was the most foul thing I have ever done. The tuna heads and bodies I used an axe to chop up, I felt like Gallagher in my driveway, I had it all over myself. Into the 5 gal bucket with a factory lid and into the freezer. When I get to AI I'll drill my holes in the bucket before taking it out.

I figure this is better then normal chum because it gets the scent in the water without really putting out a lot of food for baitfish. My thinking is that once charky finds the chum I want him to have one choice of food...the one with the hook in it! Otherwise with conventional chum the chark could end up chasing blues for 2 hours and lose interest or just not want a tuna head after that.

imagine what people thought that might have rissen by, seeing you with an axe, covered in blood........................

I was wondering why the neighbor asked if my wife was around?

Probably just testing me, I told her if she didn't mind her business she'd be in a bucket soon as well.

I think im still going to buy the chum up this way and just throw out a "Feast" of bait lol.

I do have a small 1 gal bucket of conventional chum to put out for my casted baits.

:idea: and if it helps, I still got @3/4 gallon of Menhaden oil I can release in the surf via a drip-container. makes a real nice slick:cool:

I think we are going to start a new way of surf fishing lol. Im also going to try to get some fresh bunker to cut up and throw in the chum. I like the oil idea also. Is everyone going to be out there all weekend?

yeah I think we should just stop at the slaughter house on the way and dump a couple cow carcasses out there and we can all drop our baits nearby.

I'll only be out Friday after about 3 and then all night hopefully. Unless the mrs. really has a hard time with it. Then I will be out all day Friday and heading out around 6-7pm

My friend picked up these tubes of frozen bunker chum, was thinking about just using a brick to hold it down and a net bag (like oranges come in) to get a nice scent out there.

0e2c3c04.jpg.5cc82e61242d08080da0ae0587a

I was wondering why the neighbor asked if my wife was around?
:shock:

Man, that chum idea is a good one! I wonder how deep the water is around 300 yards out?

know anyone working at a chicken plant? maybe couple of 5 gallon buckets of chicken blood?

You might not want to go that far out with the chum. If the current is running hard your chum slick wont be where you want it. I was thinking if the current is running hard i was going to go down the beach 100 yards and drop my chum this way by the time it starts going out it would be about where my lines are.

I could pick up some road kill on the way down :lol:

I love that vision Charkbait... axe in hand... blood splatter ... pretty extreme... :eusa_naughty: :cool:

I figure I'll just set up down current of where all the guys chumming are and forget even taking mine out.

Remember if you are going to drop chum make sure you do it in a bio degradable "container" and IM, I used a cotten chum bag this weekend and when I went to drop more bait it was gone, I think a chark just ate the bag which is why I switched to the bucket.

I could pick up some road kill on the way down :lol:

:lol: like what, coons & possums:?:

Ok I think I am officially addicted to this website lol. We use chum a lot when fishing for rock. works well. I still cant believe the story about the bluefish banging of the bottom of the kayak. That had to be a scary feeling.

I know someone that owns a seafood shop, so I will stop in there and see what I can get

how do you get your bucket back? float a bouy and just go back out and get it? I would think a line back to the beach would risk entanglements.

It wasn't scary, I made them go away after I soiled my swimmin britches. I wasn't so worried about the blues as the huge boils coming up under the yak.

I'm going to try the line back to the beach and see how it goes. hopefully it will lay on the bottom...may have to weight it. If you have a float out off your chum you will definitely get hung once the Chark takes 400 yards off...need a break away system for that. AND, I'm not real hot on retreiving the chum anyway.

run a 3/8" line to the chum bucket, but a BIG hook in it, remember the dock scene in jaws?

I cant blame you on that. Im going to tie it to my truck and put it in reverse. I think I'm going to take the chum down the beach 100 yards or so. I was going to put a couple weights in the bottom of the bucket to try to keep it in place.