Skylar

11.13.2013 Cbass Biting, Tog not so much

1 post in this topic

Fish Report 11/12/13 <o:p></o:p>

Cbass Biting. <o:p></o:p>

Tog Not So Much. (yet) <o:p></o:p>

MREP Teaches Those Involved <o:p></o:p>

<o:p> </o:p>

Inshore Tog Trip Thursday, November 14th – 7 to 3 – $110.00 - Twelve Anglers Sells Out - Green Crabs Provided. (Cancelled Thursday's cbass trip for weather – now it looks fine, west @ 15..) <o:p></o:p>

Going Long — Sea Bass — 5:30 AM to 4 PM — Monday, November 18th — 21 Anglers Sells Out (and unlikely) — $150.00 — High Probability Of Bites On The Jig. <o:p></o:p>

All Of November Is Open For Sea Bass Reservations. Will Open December Trips Via Email Only.. <o:p></o:p>

Reservations Required at 410-520-2076 <o:p></o:p>

Sailing Daily – Including Sundays (When Weather Allows!) <o:p></o:p>

Reservations For Sea Bass Trips at 410 - 520 - 2076. <o:p></o:p>

New-To-The-Boat Clients can see much more info at http://morningstarfishing.com <o:p></o:p>

And, From Coastal Fisherman, See Our "Show You Around The Boat" Video (many regulars have pics in it). http://www.coastalfisherman.net/charter-info.cfm?c=9861A6B2-3048-71C2-1762E62F1DFB4D0B <o:p></o:p>

Bring A (not terribly big) Fish Cooler With ICE For Your Party.. A 48 or 54 QT Cooler Is Good For 2 Guys. Even Now You Should ICE Fresh Fish.. <o:p></o:p>

Eight Hour trips $110.00 - 7AM to 3PM – Saturdays 6AM to 3:30PM - $125.00 <o:p></o:p>

LEAVE YOUR BEST POSSIBLE CONTACT NUMBER - Weather Cancelations Are Common - I Make Every Attempt To Let Clients Sleep In If The Weather's Not Going Our Way.. <o:p></o:p>

Be A Half Hour Early - We Like To Leave Early.<o:p></o:p>

Clients Arriving Late Will See The West End Of An East Bound Boat.. (Captains Arriving Late Will See Disappointed Clients!)<o:p></o:p>

If You Won't Measure & Count Your Fish The State Will Provide A Man With A Gun To Do It For You. We Measure & Count — ALWAYS — No Exceptions!<o:p></o:p>

A Gift From Tom Jackson, There Are Three Jimmy Jackson Prints – Numbered 1 of 1, 2013 – on display & set up as silent auctions at Ake Marine, Ocean City Fishing Center & Sunset Marina. Stunning. Proceeds To Ocean City Reef Foundation, a tax deductible 501c3.. Auction Ends December 15th @ 5PM.. <o:p></o:p>

<o:p></o:p>

7,788 "Oyster Castle" reef blocks by the rail – 2,366 at Jimmy's Reef – 1,396 at Ake's – Now 144 at Lindsey Power's and counting! <o:p></o:p>

See ocreefs.org if you'd care to help fund the next truckload, or snailmail a check – any check! <o:p></o:p>

Trying to keep a large selection of OCRF long-sleeve & ss t-shirts aboard.. <o:p></o:p>

Greetings All, <o:p></o:p>

Very good fishing of late. <o:p></o:p>

Saturday's bite odd, but we came out of it with pool contestants pushing 5 pounds and many folks with cbass numbers in the mid-teens. <o:p></o:p>

Other days we've had some clients limited. <o:p></o:p>

Veterans' Day offered one of the best bites in recent memory. I caught many doubles fishing a 5 ounce jig with a single hook at each end.. When you catch 2 sea bass on one jig: They're chewing. <o:p></o:p>

Cancelled Sunday past's sea bass trip for high west winds. Called the night before, clients were offered an inshore tog trip instead. <o:p></o:p>

Twelve folks took me up on it. We tagged 30 shorts & let others go with a 3rd fin rip. Did not have many keepers – maybe dinners around, maybe.. <o:p></o:p>

When 30+ knot winds cranked up I headed for the barn with a partial trip credit for all. <o:p></o:p>

Westerlies for this coming Thursday's tog trip look far kinder, will let me get a little further out.. <o:p></o:p>

I attended an educational seminar last January in Baltimore, the MREP 100 Fishery Science Module. <o:p></o:p>

These "Marine Resource Education Program" seminars are top-shelf. I would absolutely, without question, advise everyone interested & involved with fisheries management to apply for this January's 3 day event. <o:p></o:p>

They put you up and feed you well, then give you interactive lectures from the East Coast's best & brightest fishery scientists.. <o:p></o:p>

This isn't advanced level work — there's no trig or calculus — its fishery science 101. <o:p></o:p>

The presenters were, however, very well prepared to answer, or at least consider, everything I asked about or argued with. <o:p></o:p>

Truly our best & brightest. <o:p></o:p>

If you are involved with fishery management on a voluntary basis — grab this opportunity! <o:p></o:p>

(if there's one spot left I'm going again..) <o:p></o:p>

See http://www.gmri.org/community/display.asp?a=5&b=15&c=225 <o:p></o:p>

Among many 'ah ha!' moments; it was at that January conference during Dr. Jon Hare's presentation when I realized our 'greening waters' were unique; that because the Labrador current was at its weak nearshore & most southerly terminus while the most powerful ocean current of all was steered offshore below Hatteras: our waters were stuck in an eddy.. <o:p></o:p>

Our once-blue and now green Mid-Atlantic ocean is in an ocean eddy behind the Gulf Stream & feed by over-nutrified estuarine outflows. <o:p></o:p>

That's why guys fishing out of, say; Stuart, Florida are still catching billfish where their grandfathers did, while here, in the Mid-Atlantic above Cape Hatteras, a fisher today has to run 50 miles further offshore to find white marlin than those fishing in the 1940s & 50s.. <o:p></o:p>

I don't think we'll find much support for re-routing part of the Gulf Stream behind Hatteras so as to better flush the southern Mid-Atlantic Bight. Instead, we'd better encourage methods of oyster restoration that work, not the same spat on shell that hasn't built a reef anywhere in almost a century.. <o:p></o:p>

Some are looking into this notion of 'blue sea turned green' and are finding no data to back it up - nothing. No scientist can argue from data that the Mid is greening faster than the South Atlantic or anywhere else <o:p></o:p>

..but if you ask an old-time billfisherman he'll tell you, "The Blue Water's Gone." <o:p></o:p>

There are airplane pilots who watched it happen too. <o:p></o:p>

Like my assertions of lost nearshore corals; of a temperate, zooanthellae-based reef ecology that has been neither 'found' nor studied by science & therefore cannot possibly have a fish habitat restoration plan; Our only path of discovery lies in fishing's history. <o:p></o:p>

If We Are To Honestly Leave Fishing Better Than We Found It; If We Are To "Restore" Our Fisheries In Full—Or Even Beyond, We Must Know What's Missing: Discovering What Was Is Vital. <o:p></o:p>

Regards,<o:p></o:p>

Monty <o:p></o:p>

Capt. Monty Hawkins <o:p></o:p>

mhawkins@siteone.net <o:p></o:p>

Partyboat Morning Star<o:p></o:p>

http://morningstarfishing.com <o:p></o:p>

Ocean City, MD<o:p></o:p>