Captgerry

tire suggestions for F250

11 posts in this topic

Hey everyone,

I have a 2011 Ford F250 Superduty supercab with 8ft bed. Pretty heavy truck. I'm in need of new tires and I'm looking for suggestions for new tires from you more experienced OSV drivers. The tires on the truck are the original from the factory and they are "General Grabber HTS" LT245/75/R17 (121/118) 80 PSI. I plan on driving on the beach maybe 5-10 times per year (maybe more when I move to the outer banks next year so I also need a tire that is just as good for driving the road. I've gotten stuck twice already on the beach and don't know if a larger wider tire would be better or maybe its just the fact that my treads are almost gone and I'm still new to driving on the sand but any suggestions on new tires for my truck are much appreciated.

Please email me if you like or respond to this post.

Capt. Gerry McDonald

"To Dive For" SCUBA Charters

glm.mcdonald@gmail.com

Hey Capt., I would suggest any all terrain tire of your preference. their are so many to choose from and their all good. I have Nitto Mud Grapplers on my F-350 and I feel they are to aggressive, they seem to wanna dig in rather then float. I'm getting the Nitto Terra Grappler next round. Also with your F-250 try using Manual and 2nd gear and I think you'll find your truck will do much better on the beach.

Hope this helps you out, Rich

I have a 2003 F250 and run 285X75's on it. I air down to 20 on the beach and have no issues getting around. I have never been stuck....had a l ittle rouble once, but when I dropped the air down to 18, she walked right out. The 285's are taller and will balloon out more when you air down. The tires are Good Year Wranglers AT's. The Tread is not aggressive. They may not be the best tires for this truck, but I got over 80K out of the first set of these tires and have been using them since.

Thanks for your reply. You got 80k miles out of those tires, that's amazing.

Thanks for your reply, I've never heard of "Nitto", I'll have to look into that. And I appreciate the tip on Manual 2nd gear. I got stuck last Saturday but when I arrived I had to park in the soft stuff as the tide was high so when I went to take off I just dug right in. I thought afterward that maybe I should have switched to 4 wheel low but maybe manual would have worked also. My current tires have only about 1/4 inch of tread left on them so maybe I should have just stayed off the beach until I replaced them.

Never been in the sand but the nitto tera grappler is a nice tire that stays quiet and wears nice

I have the 285/75/17 on my f150, im on the beach three to four days a week. Great tires they wear well but pricey. All four ran me $1100. They are roughly $250 a piece. Only downside I have is they are still slightly aggressive so airing down to 10-15 psi is a must but they do great then. Airing up is a chore because of the higher pressures but thats it.

I am running mastercraft courser axt's. They have been great. They are a private label for Cooper so price not bad.

I'll second the Good Year Wrangler. Buddy of mine has them and not only does he get extremely good wear out of them, he is on the beach every week and never digs in or gets stuck.

i have a 2006 F-250 that spend a lot of the time on the beach. I was running cheap Kelly Safari E rated tires. Never had a problem with airing down to 20 psi. If the beach was soft I would use 4-low. Honestly there were times I forgot to put it in 4wd and didn't even notice I was in 2wd.

When i stopped at my place I would always back up and go forward a few times to make a little runway so I wasn't stuck when it came time to pull out. Also when pulling into my spot I never touched the brakes, I just let it drift to where i wanted to be. no sharp turns either on the beach.

Quick hint, carry some extra valve stems with you and the removal/insertion tool. They saved my butt(and some others) at the pumps a few times. They are cheap, extremely easy to use and take up very little space in the glovebox.