Dave

august 2013 fishing reports

21 posts in this topic

Well august already and peak shark season. Water temps have been fluctuating quite a bit due to the sw winds. Hopefully the se winds prevail this month. Kings and spot are plentiful right now with the ocassional croaker in the mix. Cusk eels are being caught after dark as well as the rays and shark. Also assateague is open to the virginia line so beach access is good. Get out and wet those lines we want to hear your reports but remember be safe and have fun. Message me if you want to catch the toothy critters.

Monday and Tuesday eve

Heading east now hope to be on sand by 730 hope to meet up

Sounds good look for the maroon f150 with a yak

Ill be down on sunday and will be there until late Tuesday. Ill be fishing on 81st street so feel free to stop by if your in the area.

This week was slow, few spot and kings. Did manage a medium sandbar, dusky and tonight a 4 ft bull. Helped allen land a nice 5 ft spinner.

Nice spinner Allen! My favorite shark to catch.

The sandtiger takes #7 in sharkweeks most dangerous sharks

Yea word of wisdom dont screw around with sandtigers in September, thats mating season and they get very aggressive.

Fished ai mon tues wen thurs 7 sharks, largest 7ft sandtiger, 11 flounder with 2 over 20in, 1 spot good days on the sand with good people thursday the surf water got extremly cold

Sunday produced a small sadbar and a little bull. Tuesday produced an 8'6" sandtiger and monday produced a small sandbar and dusky. I have open spots for this monday if anyone is available.

Read somewhere, might have even been this site, that Sandtigers spawn locally in and around the month of September. Can anyone confirm that September is the most active activity period for spawning Sandtigers? Also, if they spawn inshore, how come people rarely catch the very small pups? I'd imagine they'd be the size of a small dogfish when born.

Hammy, august and September are spawning months for sandtigers. Ive caught a few with mating marks on them. They remain pregant for ten months then give birth in june and july in the delaware bay. Ive caught newborn sandtigers mostly in early june and they are roughly a foot to two feet in length at birth.

Also a sandtiger will not mate again for one year after giving birth hence why they are on the protected list. So ten months pregnancy then 12-16 months before becoming pregnant again.

Fished the OSV for about 4 hrs Saturday afternoon- 4 blues and a whiting. Hard to detect the smaller hits with the surf up so we mostly fed the fish. Would have stayed longer but ran out of bait, and refilling via castnet bayside is a circus with so many tourists. Got a good haul of mullet on the way in stopping at the second bayside lot before the OSV, but you'd think folks had never seen a fish before the way they flock to any sign of life that comes out of the water. Anyone ever try fishing/netting on the OSV bayside? I have yet to make it down that far to the access points.

On a side note, thank you Dave and folks for sharing your vast knowledge of the shore. I figure its about time I quit freeloading off everyone's reports...

Thank you for contributing buddy. Ive never cast netted bayside from the osv myself so cant really help out there. Y. Went out last night on a guide and surf was pounding. Managed a twenty inch blue and a few spot. Had one pick up and miss on one yakked out bait. Yes we yakked out in the rough surf, barely.

Anybody going to be out this week thinking of making a trip but need a fishing partner

Ill be out monday and tue eve

Headed east got to get osv permit be in dodge ram with sunlite camper