Guest mdram

heres something for ya to think about

13 posts in this topic

Wow, I might want to paint mine!

I think that might change my mind about paddling around for a while.....ahhhh who cares, you only live once

I read a story of a husband and wife kayaking down the west coast, both had yellow kayaks I believe, he was bumped 10-15 times in 2 weeks by sharks, she was never touched even though she was within 10 yards of him the entire time. After the trip they realized that his kayak had a completely yellow hull, her's was yellow but had a black stripe down the middle of the yak about an inch wide...for some reason this was the difference. I'm thinking of a way to get a black stripe on my yellow yak..

I have a darker green yak and I've been turned almost 90 degrees.

I was slightly bumped maybe two other times the same night.

The one that turned me was really weird. It kind'a felt like I was on a whale's back, just rose up and was turning. It wasn't a wave, that's a different feel.

Kind'a freaked me out. I dropped the bait, came back in and told Sam. Remember that night Sam?

I think the Chark just sees a silouette and was simply checking it out. It was a starry night with no moon. I think I was in the first trough, hard to see...

I'll add a 3 million candle power spot light to that black stripe as well.

Steve, had you been sippin on grampa's old cough medicine that night?

Seriously, I have only been bumped once. I have a completely white kayak.

LOL, no cough medicine!!

Out of all the times I've been out on canoes, rafts and now yaks, never before has it happened except that night.

'Course, I was just sitting there not moving so I guess he was wondering....

With your luck in a yak, it was probably a great white... :)

Makes me reconsider learning to yak, lol, just kidding. It would spook me though.

Nah, maybe it was a wave slapping the side of the yak... Making a "thud"

you would think dark green would be harder to see at night??? i hope.:shock:

When you are underwater and you look up you see a silouette. Charkey looking up at night doesn't see a color, just an object against a starry sky.

They are very curious critters, almost as much as Dolphins are. They'll come have a look-see. They don't always take a test bite. Sometimes they just bump you with their body or tail.

I'm sure someone here has been bumped by something while swimming in the ocean. Could have been a Whiting, could'a been a Chark, who knows...

I've seen dozens of Charks all around swimmers when flying over Daytona Beach.

True, the one thing alot of people forget, is when you go into the ocean (or even out in remote wilderness) you are no longer at the top of the food chain. You really are just another snack. We forget that the only reason we are at the top (most of the time) is our ability to use tools, and even then tools are prone to failure or operator error, so it still can be risky. That is probably why extreme sports have picked up in the last 10 years, playing on the edge is so exciting.