Dave

May 2013 fishing reports

59 posts in this topic

Well everyone it's that time, black drum, flounder, some decent striper all being caught now. Get out your gear and hit the water if you haven't already. Post all reports here fish or no fish we want to hear all about it.

It looks like may 18 or 19th will be my 1st chance to soak some bait ocean side, I can't wait! What baits should I use? I was thinking one rod with bloodworm or fishbite BW and my bigger rod with something else.

It looks like may 18 or 19th will be my 1st chance to soak some bait ocean side, I can't wait! What baits should I use? I was thinking one rod with bloodworm or fishbite BW and my bigger rod with something else.

depends what your after:

striper - bunker...use bunker heads too!

black drum - fleas/ clams with a strip of fishbite crab variety...striper likem too but i prefer bunker

blues - finger mullett or bunker, even blues...pretty much any cut fish

whiting -if around ? shrimp is my first choice or small pieces of cut bait, like spot or bunker...they like fishbites too, bloodworm variety, so iam sure the real thing would be better.

never used bloodworms but heard of some success people using it.

Out today from 9 am till 3 this eve, windy as hell 10 ounces barely held so I used 12's to help take the bow out of the line. Nothing on fleas but did have a blast with the bluefish. Half dozen caught with the smallest at 18" and the largest at 32". The majority were low twenties. Fun times.

Thx buddy, this eve was rough, wind is relentless but caught three blues mid twenties, two skate, and a 4 ft smooth doggie at sunset. Not bad for three hours

I fished sunday morning trying to catch my 1st snakehead but had no takers. I saw 2 swimming around tho. Managed a tiny largemouth, a couple crappie and a few rainbow trouts.

And dave thats a great few hours. Is the smooth doggie your 1st shark of the year?

Technically yes, today the wind was ok at first but raining its butt off, caught a dozen skate, three big doggies and a puffer. Then wind picked up so I did to. Gonna try bright n early tomorrow.

ok, well a doggie is ashark to me. I'm not used to your sharks. lol Good luck in the morning.

Today, three skate. Ok here's the odd part, bait rod caught me a spot so I used the spot for bait well the rod with spot as bait slammed, I'm thinking striper for sure, to my surprise it was a rough tail ray so a spot and rough tail ray In cool water really odd.

Great Stuff Shark Hunter! Keep the reports coming.

Rough tail rays already? Hmmm... Look for sharks soon.

Yea, I thought it was odd myself. Thinking I need to start night fishing again soon

Dave and SteveZ, thanks for the weights!

Rays... I guess sand tigers will be next.

fished ai/md 5am to 1pm couple skates and blowfish on the bait rod great day to be on the beach 37 on the counter on the way in on the way out no count noticed the exit gate had been broke off lot of traffic geuss it will be any day now good luck

Fished ai tues wen thurs 14 dogfish to many skates to count 1 fat 43in striper

Best days on the beach in a long time

way to go allen!

Fished ai tues wen thurs 14 dogfish to many skates to count 1 fat 43in striper

Best days on the beach in a long time

Nice!!

Sunday night 7 pm to 3 am skates and doggies, Monday 8 am till 7 pm nothing at all not even a hit, today 6 am till 1 pm not a thing decided to move to a remote spot away from everyone, around 5 pm my rod which had fleas on the end and only tossed out twenty yards bent in half, then the sand spike started to go, I got to it in time and found I forgot to loosen the drag, backed it off a bit and seen a fish breach the surface, I'm thinking big blue, after a 5 minute tug if war I managed to beach a 40" striper. Thirty one hours of fishing in two days for one fish and a wicked case of sunburn. I'd totally do it again. Ill post pics as soon as I can I need to rest.

Nice job and thanks for dinner!

No problem buddy, hope to get a few more soon