allen

circle hooks

11 posts in this topic

Doing some research on rigging. Is it better to tie on circle hooks or snell them for surf fishing. Or does it not matter

What #leader are you using

I snell mine and use 80 lb leader. Not sure if it really masters. I crimp on the swivel end. My dad actually crimps the hook.

I crimp mine on both ends and have never lost a fish to a crimp. I am terrible at tying knots - LOL:drunken_smilie:

I snell you just have to pat attention to how the leader is run through the eye. I found the hook will not set properly if the leader is run from the back of the eye through the front.

Thanks for input. I am asking not so much about strenth as try to improve hook up rates. I think i droping to many fish

If the eye of the hook is bent, then snell. If not bent then tie or do not put the line through the eye when you snell. If the eye is bent "up" (toward the back) put the line through the front of the eye first. Circle hooks are rarely bent "down". Sometimes you will find the bent eye hooks called "octopus circle hooks".

If you are loosing fish, try to remember that the fish sets the hook, not you. All you do is put your reel in gear and lift the rod tip a bit. Also, wait until the hook has been swallowed, as it hooks on the corner of the mouth on it's way back OUT of the fish. The hook is set as a result of the fish swimming AWAY from you, it can't make the turn out of the fish's mouth without catching on the edge of the fish's mouth.

I used to have horrible hookup %. I made my leader longer between the hook and the swivel and it seemed to help a lot.

I was using like 1.5 to 2" leaders to get some casting distance, but I switch to 6" leaders.

Agree with the slightly longer leader. I found my hook up ratio better with the slightly longer leader.

Usual keep leader 6 to 10 inch

Thanks for input

Any other sughestions for increasing hook up rates

Tried snelling and i beleave it has improved hook up rates

I snell everything I use.