Brian

Help on shark fishing.

7 posts in this topic

I was wondering how far out do I have to go to catch some sharks. 2-5 foot sharks will be my range. I can take my boat out about 15 miles. Do I anchor or drift? What pound test?

Thanks

Sharks come within casting distance of the beach especially at night but not until the water temps come up a bit. There are some pretty well experienced guys on here that can give you alot of good information. Im sure Dave will have some good insight.

I was wondering how far out do I have to go to catch some sharks. 2-5 foot sharks will be my range. I can take my boat out about 15 miles. Do I anchor or drift? What pound test?

Thanks

You can catch them with sand between your toes !!!!

Thanks

.....If your going in your boat the 1st,2nd,3rd,lumps would be a good place to start a chum slick.You can anchor or drift.Use steel leaders,and mackeral makes a good bait.Check your bait store to see whats in stock.Get a 5 gal. bucket of frozen chum and a plastic milk crate.Cut a saucer sized hole in the top and put it in the crate upside down.Hang this over the side of the boat with rope.As the chum thaws,and wave action shakes chum thru the bottom of the crate creating your slick.Float your baits out with baloons or big bobbers available at tackle shops.I leave the shark rods in free spool with the clickers on.Wrap a rubber band aroun the spool to prevent backlash.When the shark takes the bait it will start clicking out."LET HIM RUN WITH IT"Trying to set the hook too soon most often pulls the baited hook out of it's mouth.Often bluefish are attracted to a slick too.Set up smaller rods with steel leaders to catch them.They make a great sharkbait and give the angler a good wiggle.Check with Mark Sampson,he is a O.C. shark expert.June is shark month in my opinion,Coastal fisherman will report any catches.Hope to see your photo in there in june.The better your prepaired,the better your chances of success....Good Luck..This photo is a Mako shark,usually caught farther out....

mako.jpg.e6a1e77a819e05a7c69dcc7455c374c

Wow. Thank you for all the information. How far out are the 1st, 2nd and 3rd lumps?

brian i quite often catch 8-10 ft shark right off the beach just casting off the shore, if you want more info message me.