Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Jet Ski Brian

50 Miles Offshore Oregon Inlet NC on My Jet Ski!

2 posts in this topic

yahoopng-1.jpgaolpng-1.jpgaimpng-1.jpgfacebookpng-1.jpgshare_save_171_16png-1.jpg

Friday night I towed my jet ski down to the Outer Banks of North Carolina and got a room for a couple hours of sleep.

Got up at 0330 and started gearing up. I dropped at the public ramp at the base of the bridge by Manteo/ Pirates Cove around 0600.

I would use the ramp at Oregon Inlet but they do not allow pwc’s. This adds about 16 miles to my total trip.

I was fortunate to be able to buddy boat with Capt. Rob and Capt. Robert of Four Reel Charters, I met up with them as they passed through the bridge at day light. I hung with them for the almost 50 mile trip offshore. It was nice to have a wave breaker plowing through the waves for me.

Unfortunately my GPS/Fishfinder stopped working as soon as we got to the fishing grounds. It is no fun trying to jig with out being able to see the marks. I did have a back up handheld GPS but that does not help much for fishing.

I still jigged a lot in the same areas that Four Reel was marking. They got hooked up to a real nice fish that they caught on a jig. They fought it at least two hours but unfortunately it came off.

I trolled ballyhoo for a little while and had one short strike but no takers.

On the return trip back I hit some waves pretty hard and heard a load noise, one of my rod holders with a Penn 50W broke and the rod was beating on the back of my ski. That was a first, but it is a real heavy set up and I was catching air so I can see how it would break.

Luckily I strap my rods down on long trips and I did not loose anything.

I covered almost 130 miles and burned all but one gallon, I pulled into the fishing center at Oregon Inlet on fumes and got fuel before going the rest of the way to Manteo. I had 35 gallons of gas and thought I would return with 8 still left but we went out a lot further than I expected. My bad. It all still worked out.

I still had a blast making one of my top ten longest trip in open ocean on a jet ski.

There were several Blue Fin Tuna caught, I heard of a couple around 600 pounds.

Thanks Four Reel Charters Captain Rob and Capt. Robert for letting me shadow you for the day. I am sure I will give it another try!

Here are some pictures and two short videos.

My “Spot” shot.

spot334520x390-1.jpg

customsuv1200-1.jpg

jetskifishfinder-1.jpg

fourreel2294520x390-1.jpg

reelinin2123520x390-1.jpg

hookedup223520x390-1.jpg

jigandpop520x390-1.jpg

manteoboatramp-1.jpg

jetskiatmanteo-1.jpg

brokenrodholder-1.jpg

At least the birds are catching some fish. Ha! Here is an Osprey in my front yard today with a puppy drum.

puppylunch520x390-1.jpg

puppyinclaw390x520-1.jpg

yahoopng-1.jpgaolpng-1.jpgaimpng-1.jpgfacebookpng-1.jpgshare_save_171_16png-1.jpg

That is a long trip! Glad you made it back.