SMc

crimping rigs

7 posts in this topic

hey guys been tying my f/f rigs w/80# mono and knots are a pain and hard to get consistent leaders looking at crimping anyone have recomondations on crimpers and crimps thanks steve

80lb is a pain to tie. I usually just get whatever crimps they have at the tackle shop. Wish I could remember the name, but I can't imaging there would be much of a difference. Pretty simple procedure, but easier than a knot!

I get my crimps off ebay. Hi-seas seem to work great, but lots of options for all sizes, and most come from mom and pop shops that I've ordered (they just try and do a little business online) and all seem to be fine (so far). I use handheld Mustad crimpers and really like them. I've crimped from 50lb through 200lb for my surf rigs, majority 50 and 80lb flouro now, and will never go back to tying for these size fish finder rigs (mostly 6/0, 8/0, 10/0 circle hooks). It's just so much cleaner, and more consistent, for me. I've had 0 fail- including fighting some rayzillas, big fish etc. I usually use mustad hooks, or eagle claw, and then I really like tsunami pro strong barrel swivels, they're cheap and great, I'll get the size 8, 5, 2, and 1 depending on the size rig I'm doing. I've had such good luck I've started selling (for cost) rigs to my friends without the time/motivation/gear to do their own, and they've all had equal success with them.

hey guys been tying my f/f rigs w/80# mono and knots are a pain and hard to get consistent leaders looking at crimping anyone have recomondations on crimpers and crimps thanks steve

How's this working out? Have you tried to make some yet? Any trouble?

I've started making mine again for the upcoming season, replenish what was lost. Trying some new combinations with the weight slide on the rig, instead of on the main line. Also trying some float combinations. I'll experiment and share how the work.

Also, I got one of those worm binders from Dicks Sporting Goods, made to hold your rubber baits, and it works perfect for holding all my rigs. I sharpie on the size of the hook, and the leader, and then it's like having a book with all my rigs in it. I really like it. I encourage others not using them to try it out. So much better than other methods I've tried in keeping them untangled and out of the sand- and space to put in extra loose hooks, swivels, and crimps for making stuff on the fly. You could even cut some lengths of line and put pieces in. And then it just zips up nice and tidy. $15 worth every penny.

I have crimped and tied I choose to tie my rigs, no real reason I just find it quicker for me to tie. I've tied as high as 150 lb test with out it failing but it is not easy unless you tie a lot. IMHO tying or crimping is equally successful just a matter of which you trust more and which is quicker for you

got a pline crimper and momoi crimps made a few short rigs turned out nice they do take some more time than tying but are easier to get the leader lengths i want hope to give them a try next weekend and see if they work

I just posted this site in another thread, but leadertec.com is pretty helpful with crimping and all-around rig supplies. They have some pretty good informative articles with tips and techniques on how to crimp, what sleeves to use etc.

Mark