Captgerry

Assateague Iland surf fishing in Mid March?

14 posts in this topic

Hi all,

I just joined this forum so I'd like to say hi first, and I have a question for you all. I've been offshore fishing and spearfishing my whole life but I'm new to surf fishing. I just bought a truck and plan to hit the beach as often as I can and learn the ropes. I'll probably have plenty of questions later about actually learning to drive on the beach but right now I was wondering if there were any fish to be caught in the surf (maybe stripers) in mid March or is that still too early? I want to get started and plan to be in the AI area the weekend of the 15th.

Thanks in advance for any responses.

Capt. Gerry McDonald

"To Dive For" SCUBA Charters.

Welcome aboard!

Mid-March is a little early for stripers, but not unheard of. You could always get your "feet wet" and your bearings by breaking in your truck and new gear. There is a lot to learn about surf fishing. Let us know if you have any specific questions. Lots of great people on this site and they are very helpful.

It maybe alittle early but Im going to start hitting the Island in mid march. I just got a feeling:icon_scratch:

Your best bet would be the mid to end of April , but as Sam has suggested it would be a great time to get out and try to get all the kinks worked out of your gear and such.

Thanks for getting back to me everyone. Weather permitting I'll probably go ahead and give it a shot. At worst it won't be the first time I made a bunch of casts and came back with nothing but bait. I'll have all the necessities in the truck required to drive on the beach of course but I've seen a few discussions on tire pressure, 4WH or 4WL. What do you guys reccomend. 15 PSI? 20 PSI? does it depend on the truck (should I try 20 first then let out more if necessary?) And should I use 4 wheel high unless i got stuck??? and drive in the hard above the water line where possible???

Thanks in advance

Capt. Gerry

Run your tires around 15, use 4hi until you get familiar with the beach, I usually can stay in two wheel drive unless changing lanes or its really soft. Keep your transmission cool though, I'd recommend a trans cooler being installed. Cheap insurance if u ask me. Other than that it sounds you've got a handle on things. Best of luck fishing let us know how ya fair. Remember if ya got any questions ask away.

Dave,

Thanks for the feedback. My truck (F250) has the factory tow package with transmission cooler sway/slip controll etc so I think I'll be fine there.

i have an f-250 as well and it does good on the beach, the one thing you need to be careful with is making turns. The F-250 is really heavy and doesn't like sharp turns on the beach. No vehicle likes sharp turns on the beach, but the heavy trucks with big tires like my F-250 really seem to hate it, it almost digs the tires into the sand sideways.

If you have E-range tires on your truck (80PSI street pressure), I take them down to 25 and only air down to 15 or20 if I feel myself digging into the sand. Remember you want to float on top of the sand and not plow through it.

In mid to late march there might be some black drum around, so sand flea and clam should be on your hook, i also heard lots of people being successful in the past few years with orange fishbites clam and a sandflea together as bait.

Thanks for all the good tips! I just checked my truck and the tires are LT245 75R17E and recommended pressure is 80 PSI. I never even heard of these types of tires so thanks again for your help. And cranking in a Drum from the surf would suite me just fine, I'll bring the baits you suggested. What rig do you use for Drum fishing?

Gerry

for black drum a typical fish finder rig works well.

for black drum a typical fish finder rig works well.

What leader length do you recommend for drum and stripers ? (withe ff rig)

What leader length do you recommend for drum and stripers ? (withe ff rig)

i usually use 2 to 3 inch leader for most fish except shark, tied off to my shock leader. now if your asking about shock leader length, i use 50# from the ff rig up the length of the rod and wrapped around my spool two to three times.

i usually use 2 to 3 inch leader for most fish except shark, tied off to my shock leader. now if your asking about shock leader length, i use 50# from the ff rig up the length of the rod and wrapped around my spool two to three times.

Thanks Dave ,the 2 to 4 inch length is what I'am tying.

Thanks Dave ,the 2 to 4 inch length is what I'am tying.

sounds perfect