Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Bill Gross

Need Help - Cayman Islands Flats Guide - Anyone?

5 posts in this topic

When I need help on the fishing front - this is my spot.

Last week was an incredible week, co-winning the coveted Angler of the Month from you folks. And, I found out I earned a trip to the CAYMAN ISLANDS in March through Mack Trucks, for being a good "Bulldog" in 2012. Not nearly as exciting as the Angler of the Month trophy, but almost.

So - do any of you in my extended fishing family have any guide connections in the Cayman Islands? I already got a half day deep sea trip with my winnings, but I have a day to use other wise and I already told HQ I am Flats Fishing for part of it. I need a guide. Before I go out and research it online, I thought I would check here first.

Please advise if any of you know somebody down there who is reliable and fair.

Thanks, Bill Gross aka Grossy

bgross@wwengine.com

Congrats Bill! I'm sure it will be incredible!

Thanks Sammy. If you don't mind I will post a report when we get back.

Our trip to the Caymans was nothing short of incredible. I got to put in 2 (1/2) day trips. The first day was supposed to be deep sea, but ended up staying inside of the barrier reef for some bottom fishing. Not much was landed that day by any of the 5 of us that were fishing that trip. Bottom fishing there is tricky - the line and rig are actually about 25 yards behind the boat and the strikes are quick and not real powerful. I missed some chances but did hook up on something with weight, but it fell pray to a lurking barracuda that took the fish and sliced my line like it was thread. It was fun while it lasted, but it was mere seconds.

The second trip was a half day flats excursion for Bonefish with Capt. Ronald Ebanks - a native Camaynian and second generation flats expert guide. Let me say, flats fishing for bonefish was a lot harder than it looks on Spanish Fly. They have huge eyes that pick up everything near them in and out of the water. The water is so clear you need to land the offering about 5 yards in front of them and let them find it, while we were a good 25 yards away. I managed 3 hook ups, all of them produced multiple drag taking runs before I got them to the boat. I landed 2 of the 3, with the first one spitting the hook right at the boat. He seemingly gave me a wink and a fin wave before he disappeared. Good stuff. The 3rd fish was the biggest - 20 inches and about 7 pounds and a 4 run fight.

The whole experience was fantastic. I am fortunate to have had the opportunity to do this and grateful for it. I hope everyone has an opportunity sometime in their life to be able to visit that incredible place.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]11443[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]11445[/ATTACH]

sounds like a blast buddy, i would love to go someday. thanks for the report also.