greenmtnman

When to head to the chesy

5 posts in this topic

Hey Guys and Gals

Just got myself a new kayak! This picture is the model, but it's not my kayak, got the pic off of google (Perception Pescador 12 is the model).

After 10 years fishing from my Dagger Zydeco, I wanted to finally get a real fishing kayak. I plan on converting it into the ultimate fishing machine, like my new found hero Kayak Kevin (you guys know about this guy right!?!?! kayakkevin.com).

IMG_3711.jpg.5d86b044306cc179d6213e38469

Anyways, wondering what's the best time for me to hit the Chesapeake. I'm moving north next year and want to try my luck a couple of times if I can before I go. I am about 5.5hrs from reedsville currently, and about the same from VA beach, so I need to pick my time of year best. I can go anytime of year really, but would prefer to go at the fishiest time, and preferably when the weather might cooperate the best (as I'll be in the kayak). I'm an experience kayak, but would rather not venture out in rough water, as it just makes everything so much more complicated, especially in cold weather, and I may be alone. Probably be making weekend trips, but am thinking a 4 day trip over memorial day might work too if that's an OK time of year.

Thoughts on places YOU'D go? When YOU'D go? Things YOU'D bring?

Thanks!

Hey give a shot to Kiptopeke state park, I'm not a " kayak guy " but I camp at that park at least one time each year and I see people having fun ( a lot of fun by the concrete ships ) you shouold give a shot. Pull some videos from youtube, you will have a good picture.

Yeah that's one of the places I was thinking. Been reading up on it on the internet. Seems like it'd be really fun.

Thanks for the reply, I'll certainly give an update when/if I go, and after I'll give a report.

Kevin fishes the ships a lot he has Striped Bass and Tog dialed in. You should give that place a shot. Rudee Inlet and Lynnhaven Inlets are good places to fish from early spring through late fall and if the air temps are warm enough then you can fish theses areas later in the season. You can also fish the Elizabeth River starting in the late fall and through the winter.

Good luck, I probable will camp this year at the park too. Is alway fun and good fishing.