BLACK ADDER

Hi seas mono?

8 posts in this topic

I have fished this year using 20lb test Lime Green Hi Seas Mono. I have used it with my usual shock line, on my usual heaver reels (Abu 8600, Abu 6500Cs ,Tica Geminis). Have used them on my usual rods at the beach casting 8nbait and other fun stuff.

Now, the problems are:

I end up changing line every other week because of "crinkly" feeling to the line, many nicks and loss of general "look" of the line. Knot strength goes away QUICK after one standard all day cast-a-rama in the Va.surf. I have also lost numerous drum,sharks, and mystery fish because this line failed during fights. I have also cast off more lead and rigs this year than I have in forty-plus years of heaver fishing. NOT COOL.

As far as pluses go:

Cost is under ten bucks for a 1/4 lb spool, and you get a LOT of line on it.

Things I have checked:

Knots

Guides

Reel loading with new line.

Basically all the tricks an old dog knows.

NOW I am afraid I have either gotten bad karma, or bad line....I think it is bad line.

Anybody else have problems with this line?

BA:drunken_smilie:

I myself use Cajun red, great line, inexpensive and durable. Can't say I've ever used that brand. If u believe its the line try Cajun red.

Black Adder - thanks for the review. As I sell that product at the tackle shop, I'm very interested in "reel life" ;) experiences with it. Now, are you comparing it with other products in the same price range or are you comparing it with "the higher priced brand"? I'm not often given to recommending mono other than "the higher priced brands" due to similar experiences, but I'm not nearly as experienced as you.

I have some Hi Seas Red 20# on a torium 30 I throw a couple of times a year. Line is a bit fragile compared to the 20# Suffix Tritanium on my other reels. But it has lasted. I try to take time to wipe off the line on my last reel in for the trip or when I get back after I rinse it off. That seems to help. I am actually trying some 20# Sea Striker brand on my Diawa 30 , $4 for a 1/4 spool and so far it has been fine casting. The Cajun Line is pretty durable as well. Try the wiping off method with what ever line you use and see if that helps.If you want, of course.

I know the Crinkly line had it few times with a brand and needless to say i never went back. I do change my line quite often now out of habit, but i have been using the Hi-Seas Yellow mono and their qauttro and love it. I was a big Momoi guy up until i used Hi-Seas black widow on the flats for big stripers a few years back and that line hooked me. I will say the Black Widow is a more expensive line but well worth it.

Thanks,everybody!

I grew up with linen lines and such, up until we started using Ande around here. That stuff is fine for most applications, but awfully stiff when casting for distance. I think I am going to spool up this week with HiSeas Black Widow and try it...I have a three day giant blue catfish trip on Virginia's James River...I want the big girl from shore!!!

BA

. Hi Seas maks a quility line. I have used only the Quatro with good expirences. It is a sturdy line with excellent abrasion resistence.Quatro does have a good reputation with their bran od line. BA you mat have just gotten a bad spool of line.<o:p></o:p>

I do use Hi Seas line on a few if my rods, however I mostly use Cajun line, off shore angler, and spiderwire but that's about it. It's a good brand of line but I don't know what's wrong with your line, like the guy above me said, probley it just a bad spool