Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Dixie719

Ah Drum It!

2 posts in this topic

Cast netted some primo mullet with the cast net yesterday and Bucket scored some nice yellow bellies and we pulled the graveyard shift at Dam Neck for the incoming and outgoing.

Nothing but a Sharkathon for Bucket till we walked off the beach at 3am. I didnt get a sniff and he could't keep the 3-4 foot sandbar sharks off of him for anything. Entertainment value for a bit none the less as some of the sharks gave some nice runs which we thought might be a drum. Wind was right when we got to the beach, but turned on us and essentially shut the bite down including the sharks.

Headed back at it this morning for the incoming and outgoing with our leftover bait as the wind was back in our favor. Got on the beach and headed to a hole we had found, but someone had already beat us to the punch so we set up a little south. Water is stirred up pretty good for the first hundred yards and clean after that.

I get sand spikes in the sand, bait up and toss out a nice sized mullet head/body. About 3-4 minutes goes by and I see my rod twiching, so I pick it up and as soon as I do, I feel the fish start to go North with my bait ever so slowly. I proceed to ease back on it slowly and BAM, fish on. This time I immediately know it's a drum and she begins to give me a nice fight through the breakers. A few minutes later I was rewarded with this nice beauty below, not bad for a first cast and within the first 4 minutes of soaking your first bait.

After that, the water began to clear up and the bluefish began to wreck havoic on our baits as soon as we put them out, and Bucket continued his Sharkathon from the night before landing a few more sandbars and losing a few rigs in the process. Walked off the beach about two hours after outgoing.

Go Drum it!

417199_3799602664138_1342737746_n-1.jpg