Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Dixie719

3 Year Itch

2 posts in this topic

OK, don't get me wrong here, I love fishing from a boat, but my true passion is my toes in the sand doing battle with the surf and this time of year is what I patiently wait for each year. The winds have finally taken their shift from summer SW to the N and NE blows of fall. With that means drum season for us surf fisherman is upon us and can happen at any moment.The past week for me has been like my past three years trying to land another sacred drum from the beach. Pinched nerve in neck or possible rotator cuff issue and absolutely no luck at all.So in pain or not the past week, I have been putting in my time everytime conditions line up for the possibility of a drum from the beach. Started to head out the dorr yesterday in the morning, but too much from the NW, so decided to lay low all day, re-tie shock knots, rigs etc, and hit the beach for a PM session when the wind was to turn NE witht he tide coming in.Hit the beach with Mark aka "Bucket" and set up our spread about 530pm with the tide still coming in. Out of the box we both had some nice runs which produced some healthy sandbar sharks 2-4ft which were good tackle testers. From there a small showing of small reds, bluefish and an occasional spot.Tide went slack and still no bull reds, so we then waited for the turn and started to put out what we had left of our "premium" baits we had left in the cooler. I get a screamer out of the box, but just another fat healthy sandbar, so I then put on a decent mullet head and toss it back out medium to short as my casting ability with my neck was going downhill fast.About 5 minutes into the bait soaking I get a slight pull which sets off the clicker for a brief moment and my line goes slack, I'm sure at this point its another sandbar. Get the line tight and the fish feels like some nice weight, but not really making any runs or much at all, so I didnt have much of a problem getting it to the first bar, but once that happened the fish got pissed. From there I find myself doing the rod dance, going over and under our lines trying not to get them tangled and next thing you know I'm 60 yards down the beach. Bucket goes and gets the big flashlight as we still have not seen this fish and when he puts the light on the first breaker, there she is, a big bull staring at us as she is still fighting her butt off. A few more minutes and the first bull red of the 2012 fall run is on the beach at 47" TL and the weight of the world is gone! Couple of quick pics from the cell phone cam and get her back in the water and after about 30 seconds of ensuring she is ok, she gives be a big dating game tail smack in the water and is gone.No more drum the rest of the night, but as I sit here and finish this report I got a call from Bucket who did the morning session today and he just put a 49" on the beach.309254_3772493946437_1295873747_n-1.jpg

Wow nice job Dixie. I can't wait heading down to AI wed for the tourney. Hope I have that kinda luck.