Dave

september fishing reports 2012

63 posts in this topic

Well its that time of year again, all the local and serious anglers start to come out of summer hiding in search of the elusive assateague red drum, already heard of a few reds being caught its time to get out there. As always post your reports here regardless of fishing outcome, we all love hearing the stories. Have a safe a happy labor day.

This Eve was crazy, dolphins at the surf break bleaching themselves after bait. Kings, croaker and big duskies. Two at 68" and 69". Got spooled by something massive. Ripped 400 yards off in about two minutes. General managed a 44" dusky.

Sounds like a great day Dave, My wife and I were out and got to see the dolphin show too, amazing. We managed a bunch of short flounder, a few snapper blues and a small ray. Now that I have my truck back in beach condition I'll to be out alot more, maybe we can hook up and I can get some pointers on the toothys and the rock/reds that are coming.

Sounds like a great day Dave, My wife and I were out and got to see the dolphin show too, amazing. We managed a bunch of short flounder, a few snapper blues and a small ray. Now that I have my truck back in beach condition I'll to be out alot more, maybe we can hook up and I can get some pointers on the toothys and the rock/reds that are coming.

Sounds great Tim, hit me up anytime.

Tonight two sandtigers at 6.5 ft, last night mid size duskies, 5 ft range.

That is awesome Dave ! Glad to hear fish being caught !! I have had some people in that caught some Puppies, and Kings. Variety of Fish being caught. in the surf !! Just received Fresh Bunker and Fresh Spot !! Have Fresh Cob and Finger Mullet !! My favorite Bait Live Bloodworms !! I know everyone is ready to catch a big Red Drum !! Good Luck Shanan :)

Nice job, Dave. I hear they are starting to run thicker now that people are looking for reds.

Sam, of course the shark show up in full force once I lose the bite leader, lol.

Dave,Drum aren't leader shy. I have caught many on steel at Hatteras over the years when blues were mixed with the drum. I would not hesitate for a minute to use steel for Drum

Critter, I've caught drum on leader before. Its just nice being able to toss without it once in a while.

Met up with dealislandsharker last night and shown him how I do things, managed 3 sandtigers at 51", 77", and 71". Lost two others due to spit hooks. Fun night.

Met up with dealislandsharker last night and shown him how I do things, managed 3 sandtigers at 51", 77", and 71". Lost two others due to spit hooks. Fun night.
Hey all new to the forum! Was there with Dave and Dealislandsharker! Had a blast, learned a ton! Thanks Dave!

Hey acutus, I enjoyed having ya out. Tonight. Kings, spot, croaker one huge butterfly ray. Dud land my biggest sandtiger of the season at 9 ft.

Dave,Drum aren't leader shy. I have caught many on steel at Hatteras over the years when blues were mixed with the drum. I would not hesitate for a minute to use steel for Drum
man, I love catching sharks but once the reds start...they need to go away. I get sick and tired changing my shock leader because of the rub! It seems like the sharks are thick when we are at the beginning of the reds...sometimes 2 sharks at a time...if its not the sharks, its the crabs...if its not the crabs, its the skates....if its not the skates its the dam doggies...if its not the doggies its the darn grass...if its not the grass, its the darn current.Surf fishing...gotta love it!

Thanks Dave, for showing us how to round up those toothies Sunday night. Acutus and I are hooked! And Mike is kicking himself for not being able to get out with us. Here are some pics from the trip Here is the smallest of the night 245-1.jpg and this guy was the biggest at 77in 254-1.jpg259-1.jpg261-1.jpg263-1.jpg And a couple of sandies being dragged back into the water. 264-1.jpg267-1.jpg

Tataug were biting great on Sunday after the storm blew through. Acutus and I caught 16 in two hours. cellpix2574-1.jpg He also managed to pick up a gorgeous sheepshead in the same spot. cellpix2596-1.jpg We also need this little guy identified if anyone can help us out. He was caught on a small sand flea in 20 ft of water next to a rock pile. He has some impressive teeth for his size. cellpix2601-1.jpgcellpix2599-1.jpg

Thanks Dave, for showing us how to round up those toothies
Toothies is right! DSCN4418-1.jpg

Glad y'all had fun, time for me to focus on reds.

Tonight, 9 kingfish, 2 spot, 5 small duskies one 5' sandtiger after tide switch.

yesterday, all day...shark every 15 minutes...largest 6'...lots of blues and one wrecking ball ray...took a break, went surfing for a couple hours. Went back to fishing and more of the same. What a GREAT day for the beach. Weather was as good as it gets! September is awsome.

I agree coop, hope this weather holds up for the tourney as well as the drum showing up.

I agree coop, hope this weather holds up for the tourney as well as the drum showing up.
Good luck in the tourney...can't do it this year, too darn busy at work. If I get the chance, gonna try to make a run out there to see how everyone is doing. Good luck!