shark54

Assateague fishing tips

6 posts in this topic

Hey I am new to saltwater fishing. I will be fishing from shore. I used to fish freshwater but now I am going to school less than 30 mins from Assateague and Ocean city. I plan on fishing hard while I am down at school. I would really like to learn more about shark fishing but I also want more about fishing for other types of fish as well. I don’t know what fish to target during certain months? Also do different wind directions dictate on how fish feed? Any tips would be appreciated. Thank you.

You should send a PM to Dave.

He knows Assateague VERY well, and is a great guy to learn from.

Go back and read a bunch of threads from around 2006 - 2008. Lots of great info on shark fishing here.

PS -- Dave is a great guy, if you get the chance to meet up with him on the beach you will learn a lot.

Thx guys. Shark are regularly around from June thru September depending on water temps and food availability. Weather has a lot to do with fishing assateague as well as learning to read the beach. Do a search for reading the beach there is a great article on it. As for other species, Striper run in the spring usually starting the end of April thru early June with may being the best. They also come back in the fall in late October thru early December. Blue fish and black drum are usually with the Striper. Red drum can be caught in September but are difficult at best to find. Kingfish, croaker, spot, flounder, dog fish, rays, puffer fish and small blues can be caught from spring threw late fall. Hope this helps.

Ok thanks for the information. I go some research to do!