tcannon

What's running now?

6 posts in this topic

Heading to AI this weekend, probably Sunday. What's running now and what bait or baits should I take with me? How far down should I go? I usually go to km 18 or so, should I go down further than that? :confused:

This time of year it really doesn't matter where you go. Just try and find some structure that looks different than the rest in the water.

Pretty much small fish in the surf during the day (kingfish, spot, croaker and etc) and sharks once the sun starts going down. For the small fish just use a top and bottom rig with small floats and fishbites bloodworm alternative or small chunks of cut up bait. Sandwich some squid on there as well.

For the sharks, anything fresh and cut should work. Also you can catch sharks during the day but your not as likely to catch them as you are at night.

What I usually do in the day is throw one shark rod out and fish a bunch of small rods for baitfish to use later in the day.

Thanks Jim, Going to give it a shot. I have the deck mounted.Ready for a relaxing day at the beach... .5852a5b47c720_Decksidefew.JPG.38e804a131

5852a5b476a33_Deckrearview.JPG.41ae14b25

Looks great! Looks like you can possibly completly remove that swingdown step as well.

I may be able to, but I am going to leave it for now, I installed a bracket with a pin to hold it up while riding. Once we get there I'll see if we need it or not. Thanks again. Quick question for you. I keep seeing articals that say a fishing license is required for AI now. Is this true or do you still not need one for OSV in the surf??? I'm a little confused about this...