Deal Isl Sharker

One that got away

4 posts in this topic

Went out to try to tag some toothies tonight.

At the start of the incoming tide I also threw out a big rod with a 16/0 circle hook and a 10in bluefish as bait on a fish finder rig.

At 10:40 my Avet LX started screaming as the 150 yards of flouro top peeled off. There is a total of 520 yards of line on my reel and 400 yards was gone before the first run was over. Fearing I might be spooled, I started running down the beach trying to put some line back on the spool. It was dark and I found (fell into) a two foot deep hole where sand had been dug up for a large sandcastle. I almost lost my rod in the fall. I hurt my back pretty bad (I am recovering from spinal surgery). I figured I had to turn him so I tightened the drag down all the way, leaned back on the rod to increase the drag angle and crossed my fingers. SNAP. He broke 80 lb test after running a total of 450 yards. That's a LOT of stamina and a VERY strong fish. I have a good guess on what it was but I will never know for sure. I am in a back brace and will not be fishing for a few days. Oh well, it was a heck of a rum while it lasted.

Wow you could have had a major setback bc some knockle head don't straighten up their fun..

As for the one that got away... that's what keeps us coming back

Feel better bro. As for what it may have been, I'd put money on it being a nice sized sandbar or dusky.