9 posts in this topic

This weekend I'm heading out on a friend's boat to drift eels for stripers and do some catfishing --a couple of questions for those in the know...

When drifting eels in deeper holes, do most folks just drift them w/ no weight or...should I tie a tear drop sinker on a 3 way swivel and then have the eel on a leader coming off the swivel ?

Also ...

Anyone here ever use shrimp as catfish bait ?

If so, I'm trying to find out:

1) Do you fish them shell on or peeled ?

2) Do you fish whole shrimp or cut them into a few meaty chunks.

Thanks,

Excalibur

Correct on the 3 way, vary your weight based on where you are marking fish.

Shrimp work great, I prefer to peel them because it releases more stink into the water and will be easier for them to find. If I am casting the shrimp I will rig it with the shell and then peel off around the hook...this leaves the hook through a portion of the shrimp that is a little more stout. This is especially important in the surf because there is nothing worse then wading 50 yards out to cast and launching your shrimp in the opposite direction of your hook and line.

On size, any will work but I tend to try and match it to my hook size which is matched to the size fish I'm trying to catch. I'd really recommend circle hooks for your Striper/Cat excursion. Stripers tend to engulf eels and cats are the worst for swallowing hooks IMO.

If you fish the shrimp shell on, within a few min the shell will be gone anyhow. Big bait = big fish. But keep in mind that little fish like them too so if you use a big chunk of shrimp you are giving all but about 1/2-1" to the little fish for free. I've caught catfish as small as 6" and as big as 10lb on a 1/2" piece of shrimp.

If you're fishing eels when the tide quits, try live-lining them with no weight, too. Make sure you bring a towel to use when you hold them, and you can keep them in a cooler on newspaper over top of ice, and they will do just fine. They'll kick back in to high gear when they get in the warmer water.

Good luck & let us know how you do.

Well, my adventure out on the boat resulted in a change of plans -- no drifting of eels.

Had a Friday night report from a relative of my friend that said they were doing well chumming down at Love Point. This, combined with the sewage run-off issues in the upper bay pretty much locked us into running south. Sat AM, we ran out to the tackle store and loaded up w/ 2 bags alwife and a bucket of chum.

Sat AM - Ran south out of middle river and dodged serious storm debris the whole way down to Love Point (1 hour run)...The journey was a little tenuous at times.

Once at Love Point, I threw out fishbites on a top and bottom for Perch -- no takers. Tried my shrimp but no takers on them as well. Decided they would be better served as chum. We anchored up and threw the chum bag over.

Started a chum line w/ the bag and periodic hand thrown shrimp/alwife gut chunks. Cut alwife for bait Within about 10 minutes, the first striper hit and darn near took my friend's rod overboard. Had it not been for his Dad's lunge for the rod, he would have lost the rod.

Once the action started, it was non-stop schoolie stripers with some sporadic keepers mixed in. Great fun on light tackle. We knocked the heck out of 'em from about 10am til 3pm -- none of the other boats in our immediate binocular range were hitting them as consistently as us. We were in 30ft w/ 76/77degree water but all fish were between the surface and 15 ft down. My guess is that we probably caught better than 40 fish between 3 guys -- sometimes 4+ fish on the same chunk of alwife. All fish were released except for one which I took back as a gift to the owner of the property where my friend's boat is docked.

Tight lines,

Excalibur

Great report! You can't beat a day like that. Did you get any pictures?

Nice Work, :D if my boat wasn't down, I'd have been out there too.:icon_frown: were you inside our outside the light?

Kick Ass love that intense striper action. congrats.