mote1977

Assateague in Sept?

7 posts in this topic

I'm heading to Assateague Sept. 4-11th to do some surf fishing and had some questions. First off, I've never surf fished before but fish freshwater 2-3 times a week. What species can normally be caught there that time of year? I have,4 outfits that I will be taking. An 11' rated 4-8oz, a 10' rated 3-6oz, a 9' rated 1/2-3oz, and an 8' med. freshwater outfit. Do you guys think this will cover what I need? I relly don't care what I catch but would love to get into a few bigger fish like drum(black or red) or sharks. I plan on throwing metal on the 9 footer for blues or whatever else. Any advice is appreciated.

September and May are the best months for surf fishing, in my opinion. You can catch smaller fish such as spot, kingfish and croaker as well as larger fish like sharks and red drum. Fish finder rigs for the larger fish and top/bottom rigs for the smaller fish. Try circle hooks either way.

Thanks mote1977 for starting the thread and Sam for answering! I will do my annual pilgrimage to Assateague State Park on Sept 7-9. I plan to chunk some bunker from the beach for red drum. On Sept 9th I am going on Morningstar party boat out of OC for some sea bass or flounder. Can't wait. Can Delmarva locals please recommend a bait shop for surf fishing? I know one close to Assateague went out of business recently... :(

Lucky angler on the corner of Rt 50 and 611

Lucky angler on the corner of Rt 50 and 611

Thanks, I'll pick up some bait there on Sept 8th. Any suggestions of what I should toss into the surf that time of year? I am thinking one rod with bunker chunks (for snapper blues and whatever else might eat it). And maybe some smaller bait on the second rod. We'll have a 7-year-old with us and I'd love for him to catch a fish. This will be daytime leisurely fishing, not a night-time hard-core fishing...;)

You can catch reds day or night, use Peeler, Bunker, Cobb mullet, spot, kingfish or croaker for bait. As for the smaller stuff try fish bite bloodworm, squid.