Steve

Skeeter reading...

15 posts in this topic

I am learning that having a fire helps. And, if you use a light on the beach, such as a head light or larger, they seem to flock to it. I inhaled a few the other night trying to pack up.

the off keeps them off too.you just need to cover yourself with it cause if you miss a spot they will find it.the fire seemed to help also.its kinda funny with the off cause the just hover around you looking for a spot to land.it reminded me of bees around a hive

best thing i ever found was a product called muskol. its 100% deet. havent seen it in a few years though.

maxi deet works well too..... can't remember where I got it though

Any 100% DEET product may be hard to find. I know there was a big issue with it a few years ago. People were putting it on their kids and basically poisoning them with it. I haven't looked for anything the last few years, I "landed" upon a case of OFF Deep Woods with 25% DEET. It works for me so that's all I will need. Generally the sprays have a lower dose than the creams. I also have a bottle of Ben's 98% DEET that is like a cream.

Some of the stuff like the Avon product do nothing but make the skeeter get stuck on you.

A lot of it has to do with your own body chemistry. Reading through the link I posted above will give you an idea about that.

Main thing is if you find something that works for you, go for it, just be very careful how much poison you are putting on, especially if you go out a lot. This stuff is absorbed by your body and it builds up in you!

And what works for me might not work for Igor or Randy, etc, etc...

WalMart carries 100% DEET in the camping section. Small bottles but works great.

I couldn't agree more, we have to be very careful about how much poison we are using... I only put it on if the skeeters and flies get bad, too much and I wind up with a headache.

us italians smell like garlic and that keeps em away, but as for flies thats another story! They need to start stocking crazy dragonflys! with lasers mounted on em! heheh

us italians smell like garlic and that keeps em away, but as for flies thats another story! They need to start stocking crazy dragonflys! with lasers mounted on em! heheh

Seriously, you crack me up. It's rare that I laugh out loud when reading post, but you just made me do it. :lol:

My wife just brings me along. Then they bite me and not her.

HAR!

i wonder how he came up with his screen name.....:?::)

We had a nice N/E wind today/tonight. Skeeters didn't get too bad until around 9pm when the wind shifted. Beautiful night on the beach.

I have read many things about garlic and high quantities of vitamin b and tried them but it did not help me any ... except I picked up this strange italian accent somehow :) But ya gotta love garlic man !!!

Anyway DEET works weel for the skeeters but it has NO EFFECT on black flies and greenies. So keep that in mind. Stay away when the wind is from the west.

I must have the blood they love I have not found anything that works, On a bad night i can get bitten 40 times in a matter of half an hour and the next day I will be a walking welt. But it dont stop me from headin out.

us italians smell like garlic and that keeps em away, but as for flies thats another story!

Have to say being Italian works for me and my brother :razz: