11 posts in this topic

I use the standard Pyramid sinkers in 4-10 oz for tossing, they have been good enough.

For yaking bait out, I use concrete with spikes. You can see an example of that in the "Cheap weights" thread.

The one you selected at BPS MAY not be ideal, I haven't used them. The thing I would be concerned with is the retreival. The spikes might dig in and make it difficult to crank. For a tossing rig, you'll most likely be using smaller baits and winding it in more often, so possibly more anguish with the spikes. Something else you may need to be concerned with is line wrapping around the spikes.

I'd say give one or two a try, never hurts.

But also have Pyramids on standby.....

I typically use the 3 oz pyramid sinkers, except on rough days then 4or 5 usually work.

It depends on the wind speed, line strength (the thicker the more the wind effects it), current and bait size. For most of the spring, I had to use 6-8 oz to hold bunker chunks and heads with 15-20lb test.

If you are going to be fishing for sharks, you are going to be using larger baits with larger hooks, otherwise you'll be pulling in skates all day.

Honestly, I would recommend using a fish finder rig with a large circle hook attached to a 3-4" wire leader (for the teeth), attached to a 50lb shock leader. This is what I would do if I were going to cast for sharks.

depends on the rod I am casting,,,whatever is optimum to load that particular rod is the weight I use which are generally pyramids.

huh......i guess i though the spider wieghts were the only way to go.............pyramids seem simple enough, and i know they might not tangle as much

I know that there are TONS of skate.........what size bait will keep them away so it goves a chance for a shark to grab hold of it? I was just going to use a 12/0 j hook........or 16/0 cirlce (i might try to open it up a little) and that would be on my shark rig (2.5 feet of 280# cable/ 2.5 feet of 200-300# mono. 50# shock leader) and use about 3/4 of a small kingfish/ croaker (tail cut off)..............i'm hoping that this will weed out the skate and leave me with just sharks and big rays.

thanks for all the help guys

BEN

GOD BLESS

Use as big a bait as you can toss out, experiment.

You'll want 8-10' of the heavy leader, IF you can lay it on the ground behind you and cast it. With shorter leader, Charkie can get it wrapped around him and get all the way to the thin running line, in this case, only 5' away.

How much 50# are you putting on? You might be alright with that....

well i was gunna have the 5 foot of cable/mono (300#) combination........then i was gunna have 100# rub leader for about another 4-5 foot.................then about 15-20' of 50# test (4 times around the spool and all the way to the rub leader)

so all in all it will be 100# test or higher for about 10 feet (over 250# for the first 5') and then 50# for a good bit

how does this sound?

BEN

If ypou read through this area, you will find LOTS of ways people are doing it.

Hard wire, cable, plastic covered cable, super heavy mono, etc.

Just take a stroll through, it's all there. ;)

As far as bait, I'm going to try skate on my casted rig. It is light to throw relatively speaking so you can get a 1/4 wing on there at least. There will be a little wind drag on the cast but the difference in sinker weight and bait weight should be nullified. That should keep the crap off your hook and it's an unlimited free bait source. Sharks love em and you are matching the bait to what they are feeding on, especially in wash at night. Get a half pound of small eating shrimp, you can catch skate as fast as you can get it in the water.

This weekend I used tuna filets, 3 inches wide/6 inches long/and 2-3 inches thick...still caught skates. I think they just sucked on it until the worked up to the hook. By using skate wing I think it will be much to wide for them to mess with. I've also thought about switching to a 3 way swivel setup to get the bait off the bottom.

I've tried skate and ray wings before with no luck. I hope It was just bad luck, because finding a use for those "sea rats" would be awesome.

I have GOT to get a video of the Bulls tearing up the Skate in the CB, they love it!

Oops, off topic...

Yeah, anyway, right, I use concrete, lots cheaper than lead....