Dave

july 2012 fishing reports

41 posts in this topic

Well the warm weather is definitely here, the big toothie critters shouldn't be to far behind.post all your reports here fish or no fish. Remember be safe and have fun.

Monday Eve met up with Mike and his friend Bob, I caught a few kingfish and one 53" blacktip tagged and released, Tuesday, it was general, Mike, bob and I. I caught a cownose ray and a king early on and then hooked up with my Nemesis "rayzilla" fought him for well over an hour. Couldn't get him in the last 30 yards. I seen his size tho, estimate of 6' wide and 9-10' in length roughtail ray. Line finally gave out. Managed an Atlantic sharpnose at 3'. The catch of the night tho was the 29" black drum. Yep a black drum in July caught by mikes friend Bob. I will post pics soon.

Hey Dave, Bob and I had an awesome time both nights. It was slow at times but when the action was on it was excellent. I thought "rayzilla" was going to break you after awhile but you hung in there. Oh well, the fish have to win sometimes too. I still would have liked to get a picture of that monster on the beach. Like you said, the catch of the night was the 29" black drum. Imagine my surprise when I told Bob to grab the rod I set up for spot and kingfish to see him reel in a black drum! I'm glad he got the chance to land the fish because his first experience at AI will always be embedded in his mind. As for me, I had two nice hook ups last night but I could not seal the deal. My knot failed on the first one and whatever picked up my spot the second time ran hard for a few seconds and let it go. We got into a few spot the night before and a nice blue fish. All in all, an excellent time. Its always a great time hanging out with Dave. Thanks for your assistance as well General. I'm not exactly sure how to post pics on here but I know Dave is planning to do so later. If I figure it out I will put a few up later. Tight lines!

Nice job, guys! Looking forward to the pictures.

Sry for the wait on the pics, I'm just trying to get a few minutes to upload them.

We fished all last week on AI with 2 nice hits but couldn't land either one. We did manage to land a small blue fish. Still better than being at work anytime! My oldest son caught a ray near the rt 50 bridge and my youngest managed to snag a 35" tuna already fileted. That was the strangest hookup Ive ever seen. I guess the charter boats dump them back in the water after fileting for the customers. Good luck!

DSC06934.jpg.176be43f313e4cb343e4fb364ba

DSC06938.jpg.63130b9de87f2d62ba8b29e5a70

seeing a picture of that skate makes me shudder- we caught so many of those on my trip to fire island last month, I never wanted to see one again- at one point we caught 12 in a row on every cast and I thought we'd never catch anything again!

What a cruel joke with the tuna :)

can't wait to hit the beach tomorrow...Dave/Mike and company you have got me pretty pumped!

Fresh Sushi!

pics as promised, yes andrew that is the 1509 im bowed up with on rayzilla.

114_0200_415x310.jpg.68f167cbe0f46143593

114_0182_415x310.jpg.0394db253d4779c1615

114_0196_415x310.jpg.4a99d6440ff9228b1f1

114_0195_415x310.jpg.ccd0f1b34f89bf596e9

Nice drum!

That drum was damn good too! Hit AI from 6-1 am last night. I caught two blues and had several hook ups but was not successful keeping the fish on the line. For the second time I ran into a situation where my knot failed. I was using an Albright Special to join my shock leader to the main line but I had that fail the other night so I tied the "Crazy Alberto Knot". It looks like a solid knot but it also failed when I had a large fish on. I'm confident I tied the knot correctly but the tag end slipped though the knot and it came undone at the worst possible time. Two times in one week sucks! Maybe someone can suggest a knot that is tried and proven. It has to be small enough to make it through the eyes without snagging. Any suggestions??? Its frustrating so any help would be appreciated. Wife says skip fishing tonight....crabs and beer are on the menu! Good luck to anyone going out. Thanks.

Hey Dave

Really stretching out that 1509 !

Rich

Maybe someone can suggest a knot that is tried and proven.

Four turn spider hitch to a four turn no-name. Very short tag on the spider and on the no-name trim the tag flush.

Ditto what Steve said. The albright is too easy to mistie. I used it yeas ago and also lost fish. Noname is just the albright tied backwards

Thanks guys, it sounds like an excellent knot....I'll give it a try.

Yesterday saw storms, spot, and kings. Going out this Eve solo, if u see a marroon king ranch f-150 with a yak on top stop by.

nice pics Dave

My report:

I had a pretty bad fishing weekend on AI. The heat on Saturday/Sunday was unbearable and my company was miserable (we were camping). It made it impossible for me to search the beach for a good spot. Normally I will scout at least a mile and find the best looking area; a hole or a break or a point something like that. Not this weekend. The wife and friends wanted nothing but to just walk over the dune and swim and sit. I debated leaving them the first night and going off by myself but they did NOT seem pleased with that idea. Even my good fishing friend (see the NY section of this site) didn't want to move.

So we hunkered down, basically where we walked down from one of the walkovers. I forgot how close the bar is in certain spots on AI. I knew we were not in a great spot, but nothing I could do.

But, it wasn't a horrible spot either, I could see at low tide crazy breaking waves crossing each other so there was a shallow point I think, and I fished the north side of it the first night and next morning, as well as on it in the morning, and the south side the next night. When swimming the water was way over my head at high tide about 50 feet off the beach (I found out the next day) so that made me feel a bit better that I wasn't fishing the worst spot in the world.

First night fished bunker on a fish finder for a while, but the crabs just cleaned me out within 2 minutes every time. 2oz held great, not much current (which didn't help my feelings this wasn't a great spot). Switched to various different floats and got some nibbles but were probably too small for the hooks and I kept failing at setting it. Fished 8-1:30am the first night. Was disappointed because high tide was at a perfect time- I think it was 11:30 the first night.

Fished 5-9am the next morning with success with the little guys- croaker on small size 6 and 8 hooks and shrimp. Lost a flounder. Croaker wouldn't take anything else- gulp, squid, or bunker. Wish I had brought my light action 6lb test rig down to the beach but didn't have and was too tired (slept 1hr the night before due to heat) to walk to the car, so on the 8ft casting setup it wasn't that thrilling. Lots of sandfleas around.

About 5:45 saw a fin out by the bar, that was DEFINITELY not a dolphin. Not nearly big enough. It was just a fleeting image, wasn't even sure I was seeing it at first. Must have been a small shark, very cool though!

Had a nice hook up not too long after that (20-30min) but was screwing around by the cart with the casting rod and the croaker, and my sprint was not fast enough to get the rod out of the tube and despite the circle hook I lost whatever it was. The rod was bent pretty good so I'm guessing it was a nice fish. Bummer. That was the only good hook up all weekend.

Around 7 my friend came down and things got fishy- could see big groups of fish out just beyond the bar, pelicans on them, and dolphins at one point. We decided drastic measures time. So I grabbed my boogie board, put on a big 10/0 hook (go for glory), a bunker head, and paddled my bait out and he did the same. I took mine out at least 200 yards, took forever, and I could see the school of fish to the south of me probably 50 yards- but I will admit I got a little nervous (totally chickened out) and didn't paddle over. I should have, because as I was paddling back my friend was frantically pointing back out and the school was getting hammered by something, big splashes and fishing jumping out of the water. I felt pretty silly then...

Gave up after no more luck, and tried again that night for about another 4 hours from 8-12pm. We were on the beach at 6:30, and I had a line in the water for about 20min, but the big storms rolled through and sent us running for our cars. Not a touch on anything that night.

Next morning I was pretty exhausted but forced myself up at 6:40 and did about an hour of casting with [my favorite lure] the 3/4oz blue/silver kastmaster. Nothing. Lots of storms that were pretty awesome though.

You win some you lose some; I'll have a report for Maine tomorrow (was there earlier in the week).

We did see a sea turtle though, while swimming. That was cool. And had a couple of great meals, so not all was lost.

But next time: beach house. 100%

That drum was damn good too! Hit AI from 6-1 am last night. I caught two blues and had several hook ups but was not successful keeping the fish on the line. For the second time I ran into a situation where my knot failed. I was using an Albright Special to join my shock leader to the main line but I had that fail the other night so I tied the "Crazy Alberto Knot". It looks like a solid knot but it also failed when I had a large fish on. I'm confident I tied the knot correctly but the tag end slipped though the knot and it came undone at the worst possible time. Two times in one week sucks! Maybe someone can suggest a knot that is tried and proven. It has to be small enough to make it through the eyes without snagging. Any suggestions??? Its frustrating so any help would be appreciated. Wife says skip fishing tonight....crabs and beer are on the menu! Good luck to anyone going out. Thanks.
Irish Mike, Try the Double Uni Knot for line to line connections. It's easy to tie and works. Take your time when pulling the knots tight - it helps to to minimize the profile of the knot so it slips through the guides. A Very strong and reliable knot. Good Luck! Grossy

Monday night was slow, plenty of kings and spot but no toothies, last night took a friend out, no spot, no kings but did land a 54" spinner shark, tagged and released.

Thanks Grossy....I'm getting lots of practice tying several knots I have never used before. I will add the double uni to my list and give it a try. Take care.

Went yesterday am and the surf was hammering the beach. Decided to throw a little bit of everything at he ocean and see what happened. After a few hours of nothing happening finally landed a blue off of finger mullet ( made the first few hours not seem so bad). About twenty minutes later hooked up again with another blue. Nothing to write home about but a fish is a fish at this point. Final count for the day was 2 blue and 2 croaker caught on mullet, bunker, fishbites (bloodworm). Hopefully hittin the beach sat night for some night time action may something bigger will want to come and play.

if the albright slipped then it wasn't tied correctly, was it mono to mono? i use 20lb to 50lb and 15lb to 40lb and never had one slip if I am "confident" when i tie it. if i dont like the way it looks it i cut and re do it. Dave can back me when i say i have put some large things on the beach :)

HOWEVER - im jealous of you guys up there. i have had a lot going on recently and havn't been able to make it up. fishing down here has been slow the past few weekends with the heat.....

ill be up the 21st thru 28 though. get ready dave, sam, jon, and whoever else wants to join in the festivities. need to get my brother another shark this year :) Dave give me a call next week so we can discuss plans.

Mike/Dave had a great time fishing with you guys over the Fourth week. Look forward to doing it again.

Fished A.I. from Saturday about 7am- Sunday 3am. with Miss Beer and Baby Beer. Weather was nice, some rain lots of bugs at night.

Caught 4 Blues from 10" to 18" all were caught on Mullet rigs on the in coming tide late in the afternoon and the 18" was caught at night.

I can't wait until the Plovers are finished doing what ever Plovers do for this long. It was a little cramped the guy next to me ( I mean right next to me ) caught my lines and the lines of his other neighbor :cussing:

Hay Yall. I haven't been out much due to funding (as in I'm flat broke) lol the little bit I've fished I have had any luck so far its skunk fishing for me looking forword to trading skunk for shark but with the hot water and short beach I don't know if I can bring my chances up...but if you don't try you won't know! Hope to see all of you out edging lines soon