Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
beer

Kayak

4 posts in this topic

I have a Cobra explorer and been thinking of trading it in for a smaller one to run bait out from the beach anyone have any ideas on what I can do.

Do you have any pictures of your kayak?

sit on top is a must; we've done it in both, and a regular one with a spray skirt is ok if it's not rough and/or you're a good kayak handler...but with 20-60# test and a giant hook the sit on top is much better. You will get swamped. Maybe not the first, tenth, or fiftieth time, but it'll happen- so be prepared and know your limits. small and surfboard like are the best ones IMO- basically the best bait boat is the worst for just about everything else except playing in the waves or rapids. or that's my opinion.

you can always rent, how many times are you going to be going to the beach in a given year?

I agree with greenmtnman, you need a sit on top. I have used a Frenzy and its perfect for running baits out...very stable and a blast in the surf. It's also reasonably priced. I would not buy one if you planned to kayak for long distances because it will not track nearly as straight as longer yaks on the market. It will, however, make a perfect yak for running baits and playing in the surf. I did my homework and knew I would only use the Frenzy for short runs, so it works for me. I have two other kayaks that I would never use in the ocean. Check out the reviews for the Frenzy and you will most likey find it is suitable for what you want to do with it. Good luck.