Dave

ai beach closure update

9 posts in this topic

Hate to be the bearer of bad news but if u planned on staying in the bullpen with your camper this weekend you might want to re evaluate. Just heard nps is closing the beach at kilometer 18 due to plover nesting and are re evaluating the vehicle count. This is not good news. That could possible mean very limited access till August or September.

From AMSA website:

The NPS is closing the OSV zone starting at KM18, due to shorebird activities in that area.

The NPS will be setting up a temporary Bullpen area, in the KM 16-17 range, which will hold only 50 self-contained units. Campfires will be authorized in this new bullpen area, but everyone is encouraged to please clean-up after your fire and help keep the beach clean. Signage will be posted of this new bullpen area.

The closure is expected to last a couple weeks, or until the birds have matured. This new closure doesn't impact the 145 vehicle limit on the beach.

If you see anyone enter this closure area, please contact the ranger's station so they can dispatch a law enforcement officer to the closure area. It is everyone's responsiblity to help report these activites.

Thx for the update.

Beach opened up another .4 kilometers. Opened to 18.8

Great news!!!! Ai beach is open to the Virginia line!

I'm headed to the Virginia end the first week of September for my first surf fishing trip. Do you guys know if that section will be open then? I'll be walking in and was hoping to fish the area they call "the hook".

Should be but I am not certain about that. I know the south end of the Maryland side is usually open.