12 posts in this topic

I have heard the terms, "inner bar" and "outer bar".

My question is: are there two bars? or are we talking about the inside of the ONE bar or the outside of the ONE bar. :?:

In all of my kayaking adventures out to 400 yards, I've only crossed one bar.

Normally, when bars are discussed, the terms inner and outer are used as in first, second and (sometimes) third actual bar. Inner and outer would be first and second when there are two bars. Front side and back side are used for near side and far side of the individual bars.

I knida have the same question....there doesnt seem to be a bar other than the one close to shore that makes the waves break.

Ben, the shore is what makes them break at the beach. It's called the surf break.

When there is a hide tide or the sun not directly overhead, you probably will not be able to see the bars. They're there alright, just hav'ta wait for optimum conditions to see the sandy color of the bar.

The area between the surf break and the first bar is called a trough. You will see waves break on the bar then no break (trough), then the surf break.

AI really only has one bar,,,during big swells, all the wave action breaks on that one bar,,,there are a couple areas where, like the wedge (just south of the inlet) where there is a persistant long bar that stretches a good distance from the beach out some 500 yards plus,,,use to paddle across from stinky beach and surf it when I was a kid during big Nor easters or huge se swells,,,when its perfect you could ride the wave all the way in from over 500 yds out,,,areas on the outer banks have two bars, but that second bar is way out there,,,during big swells, you can see it break on that second bar.

ahhh now i get it :) thanks guys

I'm going to try to read the beach as much as i can.....i remember there used to be a post that showed a photograph of what cuts look like ...but i cant find it...anybody know what im talking about??

BEN

Actually AI, as most of the coastline, can have several bars. I have seen as many as 5 at AI. These you will NOT see from the shore, I have seen them when flying above the shoreline. The water gradually gets deeper so the bars will have a lesser effect as you go out. I have never seen more than 2, (maybe three?) bars at AI while standing on the beach.

I posted a pic on here somewhere that showed I think 4 bars, taken from overhead.

Alright, that is what I thought. Thanks guys.

Actually AI, as most of the coastline, can have several bars. I have seen as many as 5 at AI. These you will NOT see from the shore, I have seen them when flying above the shoreline. The water gradually gets deeper so the bars will have a lesser effect as you go out. I have never seen more than 2, (maybe three?) bars at AI while standing on the beach.

I posted a pic on here somewhere that showed I think 4 bars, taken from overhead.

True,,,but from a fishing standpoint from the shore,,,the main bar is the one out 100 yards which diffuses the wave energy before it hits the shore,,,from a yaking standpoint, don't think I ever came up on the second bar at AI,,,at least that I can tell,,,when I yaked baits out in the OB, I did in fact run into a second bar and dropped the bait beyond that bar,,,that second bar was very noticeable.

I saw you go past the 2nd one last time I was there. I could see the color from the shore and the slight wave. But you dropped my hook prolly 800 yards out, I know you had to be in the blue water, I could see that.

Last year when I had my first outing in a yak there was a massive second break out there. I couldn't tell how many other bars were there but there had to be. I know there was one more, makes three, 'cuz that one rolled me good. I think the second one rolled Sam in the middle of the night one time.

I'd like to get some current pics of the bar layout....

I think maybe my eyes are failing me,,,turning 40 is really getting to me:lol: .

There are two breaks, the shore break and the bar break.