Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
sureshot43

Line color for surf

8 posts in this topic

Gotta respool my reels. Does color matter a whole lot for surf fishing? I've always used Berkley Big Game clear, but I got a really good deal on a spool of #20 green. Any thoughts are appreciated. I still might try braid though. What color should I look at there?

I like any color just so it is hi-vis.
Me too- I use braid (Love it will never go back) and have red and yellow powerpro. I use 12-20" flouro leaders and have no problems catching fish with the red and yellow line.

I'm still on the fence about switching to braid. I might give it a try, but I haven't had any problems that I can say were due to using mono.

I think braid casts easier, cuts the waves better so it holds with less weight, and I don't use a shock leader because I use 40lb and 60lb depending on the rod (simplicity, and I'm limited now by what my rod and reel can handle not my line- which at 15lbs of drag and rods rated at 30 and 40# test- so I am over doing it, have to be careful)- and it'll last for 5-10 years if taken care of (mono gets changed every year minimum). IMO, all of those things were worth the switch to me. Price, a slightly higher probability of getting tangles and wind knots, and you could slice your finger off easier are the downsides.

FWIW I use penn spinning reels of various size and series

EDIT: you can also hold a lot more line of equal test

I use 17# Cajun red. I swear by it. I used to use braid but found I got cut off a lot. Braid has great pull strength but little to no shear strength. Braid hits a sea shell and its cut. Plus I use only conventional gear, blow ups with braid equals expensive.

I've always been one to say"if it ain't broke..." Mono has been OK so far, and I only paid $2 for the whole spool of BG. I do have a Shimano Stradic 5000 that I Might try braid on one of the spools. I have 12 lb mono on now, what lb braid should I go with?

yeah Dave I don't think I'd use braid on conventional in the surf, I've been down the route and blow ups happen too routinely (even if it's 2x a year, it's too much) to justify. and it's not that mono can't do the job as you've proven a billion times, it's more a preference thing- works for me, I've yet to loose a fish because of the braid (always a leader, hook, or user error).

for me, I like to use 40lb braid, although I've used 30, and up because if you go smaller the diameter is so small and the line so strong it'll cut you very very easily. 40lb = 10lb mono diameter.