Dave

june fishing reports 2012

41 posts in this topic

Well, may has been epic for Striper and black drum with a few big blues in the mix. I've heard from many that this spring has been the best run in 20 years. Now its time for my favorite season, shark. Nothing like sitting on the beach after dark and having your reel screaming. Anyway the toothies are starting to show, soon the big boys will be abundant. Heard of a few kings and croaker from the surf and blues from the inlet and 50 bridge. A few rock should still be lingering around. Post your reports here fish or no fish. Get out and have a blast.

I love your enthusiasm! I also love the taste of fresh kingfish. :booty:

me too Sam...love those kingies! Great for the table!

They make great bait to.

Cant wait to get back down and get into some Kings. They are among my favorite eats.

Is the kingfish a regular catch from the surf on AI ?... Is fishable the same way as the blue fish ?...

Never see or pull one.

Thanks guys,

Sun. evening just got home from 3 days on A.I., Fri. was best day 2 of the biggest rays i've ever hooked,had to cut hook off in the wash didn't want to try to pull them further up on the sand with the 50lb. shock leader. Sat. and Sun. west wind = flies. all in all a good time!!!

Catch kings on top/bottom rigs, small circle hooks and use very small pieces of cut bunker (scaled) or blood worm (fish-bites work too).

This Eve, two kings at once on clam fishbites, a Med size butterfly ray and one 48" sandtiger tagged and released.

Heading to AI thursday morning for a couple of days. Anybody else fishing this week? Can't wait!!

I went down to AI today, and as soon as I get there, there was an SUV from NJ that was stuck 15 ft on the sand. No permit, no supplies. I lent them my shovel, lent them my 2x4's, finally had to tow them out. It took about 45 mins. Finally got on the sand and had an emergency call. No fishing. Try again Thurs or Fri.

Sunday Eve, small sandtiger, Tue night was nuts. School of large butterfly rays came through and caused all kinds of chaos. Three rods double over at the same time. Snapped off two and landed the last. It was my only option to snap em off. Ended up with a 68" butterfly. One small sandbar and sandtiger, two kingfish. Last night another big butterfly, skate and at dead low tide had a rod start peeling line. By the feel of it thought it was a small sandtiger from all the head shakes. Get it in and to my surprise is was a 33" blue. Never had a big blue in the middle of the night. Anyway great week.

Sounds like a good week, hopefully the rest of the week will be even better! Less than 24 hrs till I'm there!!!!

Bluefish at night? Nice!

Fished AI thur, fri, and sat morning. Hooked 2 skates fri morning and that was it for the 3 days. But a bad day of fishing is still better then a good day at work:eusa_dance:

im going to try for a short trip Friday aft through mid day Sat. Maroon Tundra, stop and say hi.

Sunday Eve landed a big butterfly ray and 5'3" sandtiger. Tue night was the same.

I went down to AI today, and as soon as I get there, there was an SUV from NJ that was stuck 15 ft on the sand. No permit, no supplies. I lent them my shovel, lent them my 2x4's, finally had to tow them out. It took about 45 mins. Finally got on the sand and had an emergency call. No fishing. Try again Thurs or Fri.

Nice guy! Many/most would have just drove by. Hopefully the karma will catch up and you'll catch something massive next time...

Back from AI from a camping trip ( 6/11 to 6/15 ) Monday was good, some king fish but the rest of the week was slow.

wind and rain was on the menu, ah.... and " mosquitoes "

Great trip and we as always have fun !!!

Fished AI from 6pm friday eve until about 11 on Sat. 5 Skates. It was very windy, although, some folks were telling me it was worse during the week. Didnt see anyone else catching anything. Lots of Beach closed due to birdies...ugh.

Last night caught one 5' blacktip, they are here. On a side note.. learning how to yak in the ocean in 10' swells is a blast.

When I was fishing last weekend, there were a couple of guys next to me with a yak. One of them tried to get out in it...but quickly abandoned the idea. What did you catch the blacktip on?

Caught it casting. Out today, yaked out and caught one 45" sandbar, two sandbars caught on casted Bait. At high tide right around sunset I got rolled out passed the outer bar. A 8-10' wave barreled down on me, as I was paddling through it a side wave hit me square in the chest and having the life vest on caused me to get ripped right off the yak, had the bait wrap around my neck, yes things got ugly quick. First I found the hook, held that in my palm, then untangled it from around my neck, stopped it all, swam to the yak and swam the yak and myself some 500 yards back to shore. Definitely got a work out. Man, did I have some freaked passerbys watching. As I was leaving I seen a ram 2500 buried to the axles. Pulled him out as a Ranger stopped. He directed traffic while I pulled the Guy out. The ranger informed me the most recent closure was because of a plover nest found a week ago. Said we are looking at at least 6 weeks minimum till the beach opens again.