greenmtnman

Reports?

11 posts in this topic

Heading to Fire Island surf fishing in 2 weeks and wondering if there's any reports and/or what to expect?

In case you were wondering; More details and pictures to follow in the morning!

5852a5b28735b_June2012FireIsland255.jpg.

5852a5b28e03a_June2012FireIsland263.jpg.

5852a5b292fdf_June2012FireIsland279.jpg.

5852a5b298b4d_June2012FireIsland326.jpg.

Can we delete that last one and try again?Thanks guysAfter droping off the wife and dog with friends, I picked up my buddying Manhattan, and we went in on Friday morning, and after an epic slog through the sand with a 75lb beach cart filled with camping and fishing gear (and 40lbs of water), and carrying a 75lb back pack, we set up camp in the lee of a dune, and hit the beach around 4pm for some quick casting before dinner. The wind was light and out of the west. But it kept moving around, and the water was very calm.Friday night, after dinner, we fished with cut bunker. We caught about 10 skates and 5 or so dog fish. Well, we were happy we weren't skunked at least. We fished until about midnight. Our location wasn't great, and the tide was low. The wind kept changing, but the surf was CALM- so calm a 5/0 circle hook and a hunk of bunker would sit on the bottom with only 2oz.Saturday we got up at 7 because I slept through the alarm (ear plugs for the first time, I've never EVER slept through an alarm!). I was PISSED we only had 3 days and we blew the first morning. We didn't even get out fishing until close to 9. We decided to walk to a point on the GPS that we had scouted on google earth earlier in the week. There were bunker pods EVERYWHERE. They were getting nailed by birds, blues, and dolphins. They were WAY out, like 1/4 mile, and it was torture. I've never wanted a kayak so much.Anyways, with the left over bunker we started in on the skates again, they were relentless the whole weekend. BUT after about 25 minutes my buddy hooked into the striper in the first photo above- our first ever. We were pumped- he was shaking so bad, and I was absolutely jaw dropped. It was between 44 and 45".Then 5 minutes later he gets hooked up AGAIN with the 1st picture below. Unbelievable- and I was getting jealous. Not sure on length we forgot to measureBut after 2 more skates, and about 25minutes, I hooked up with my first striper (above). 35". The head shakes that thing was doing- man. Awesome.Then things quieted down for a while. The wind was bizarre. It kept switching from north east to east to south east. It was very light, and the surf was so calm. It was like a mirror. I think 1oz would have held.In the afternoon we caught lots of sea robins (a couple were close to 5lbs), skates (I never want to see one again) and dog fish. Biggest dog fish I've ever seen though (below)In the evening my friend caught a blue fish on left over bunker, and a really nice flounder (above) on a swim shad. A personal best for him. And a NY slam- stiper, blue, and flounder on the same DAY! I was a bit jealous.Sunday came fast- we fished until 11 the night before, and were up at 3:50 the next morning to try and catch the tides. The whole time they were at the worst time- 1,2,3, 4pm and 1,2,3, 4am. It seemed like all we did was fish at low tide.Sunday morning was pretty slow, lots of sea robins and skates again. The dolphins were in close, the bunker pods were EVERYWHERE again, and we say blues jumping right in the breakers, and sardines washing up on the surf. It was bordering on epic. But I think we failed at this point. We stuck with the bluefish cut bait we had from the night before, but it was a bad decision. We should have worked the surf with lures- and as soon as we started doing that, things turned around. He caught a couple blues, I got a nice flounder. We moved location after a lull, and the action picked up again. I caught a really nice blue on a silver and blue kastmaster (the picture above), never seen one jump 3 times before, that was pretty cool. Also caught another small flounder, a couple blues, and lost at LEAST 5 or 6 blues (I assume)- 1 that felt really really big.lots of skates again that afternoon. In the evening, while cooking dinner on the beach, my friend lost what we assume was another nice striper. We were pretty annoyed. Than, in the midst of boiling pasta, I hooked into a really big ray. Took 30+ minutes to get it in on 40lb braid- I had the drag locked and was cupping the reel. Once in the breakers my friend had to delicately push it up on the beach with a big stick. And then we saw it had no tail??? It was at least 40lbs, it was a bi$%h to get flipped over to get the hook out, and I wish I hadn't. It felt wrong to do that- plus the leader was all the way down the throat of the beast- all 12" of it. I just unhooked it and let it go. I really hope it lives- it was pretty awesome.That night we didn't get anything but the constant onslaught of dog fish and skates. Couple of the skates were big, but still not worth it. And we were DEAD tired. We gave up about 11, the wind had picked up out of the south west and there was finally a chop on the water.Finally, Monday morning, up at 3:50, we were fishing by 4:30 (it was a 3/4 mile walk to the good spot from our site). Nothing but a sea robin. It was aweful- we had run out of water so were trying to conserve so I was a bit dehydrated and we had almost no food left and the wind had picked up so it was tough trying to cast lure (bait was still no problem with a 4oz). Our bait was probably no good as well (blue fish with no ice from 18hrs earlier). So we gave it up at 7am and packed up and left.Anyways, it was an awesome trip, and we are hopefully going to make it an annual thing.Details:10ft tsunami rod + penn ssg 5500 with 40lb power pro 10ft daiwa D-wave with okuma 5500 with 40lb power pro8ft tsunami rod + penn sargus 15lb power pro7ft berkley rod + cabelas salt striker 4500 14lb cabelas braid80 or 150lb flouro leaders crimped (by me) to 5/0 and 8/0 hooks used cut bunker for first 24hrs, then blue fish and sea robin (nothing caught on sea robin)lures that caught fish or at least got strikes:1/2 oz kastermaster silver and blue1oz panter martin swim shads black and bunker 1oz top waters from ebayStorm swim shad bunker and baby bass in 6" and 3" sizesBaitCut bunkerCut BluefishConditionsNE wind bestLow swell 1-3 feetSunny, mid 70’s

MODERATORS CAN YOU DELETE THOSE THEY LOOK HORRIBLE i'LL REFORMAT

Sounds like a good time, thanks for sharing

I took care of the first report, anything else you need.. Thanks for the report

well as soon as I get time I'd like to format the report so it's much easier to read- I don't know why but I'm having a lot of trouble with the site on my home computer. I'll do that ASAP and then you can delete that other one as well.

Thanks!

Awesome fishing! can't wait to see the reformatted reports!