Dave

may 2012 fishing reports

94 posts in this topic

Well, may is off to a great start if you have been able to get out between blows. The striper have made there presence known. in my opinion, now is the time to get out. doggies, skate and baby sandbar are in abundance with some blues in the low to mid twenties in the mix. Black drum have been reported but by far are less in numbers than last year. anyway, here is to a great spring run, may all of you get out and catch yours. post all reports here, fish or no fish. we would love to here your stories. most importantly have fun.

fished AI today from 10 am till 4 pm, lots of clear nose rays, several sharks, and lots of sun. from what i saw, it looks like the outer bar is unbroken from the first ramp to the VA line. JOHN

John, it is for the most part but the fish are there, just gotta find the right spots.

What is a clear nose ray? :happy8:

Chessie yesterday, out of the Pax in about 60', water temp 62.

Two Stripes, 25" & 34" between 0700 - 0730.

Two knockdowns about 0745, then dead the rest of the day.

Blues are biting the tails off the Sassy Shads.

sam i correct myself, they are clearnose skate. fished AI yesterday from 7 am - 230 pm, 1 smooth butterfly ray, complete with another rig . saw approx 8 very nice stripers caught south of me. JOHN

This morning from 7 till 1 nadda, wind was making things difficult, hard to hold with 8 gonna try again tomorrow. Fishermen every where. Didn't see anything caught.

Thanks for the update. When you called me this morning, I was OUT OF IT. I know I was babbling something about Steve Z and Tylenol.

Dave/Sam,

weather permitting, i am flying back from Oklahoma on monday the 14th. i get home about 2ish, if i have everything ready and hit the road i could be up there before sundown. you guys wanna fish????????????????????????????????????????????????? :) i took off tuesday and want to get a bass from the beach. let me know...

Went out yesterday all day, at the last walkover before the OSV entrance.That wet wind was miserable. Fished all day without a bite, only lost bait to the crabs. Then right before dusk, the bait feeder on the middle spinner went nuts. With a short but noticable fight, the skunk was off with a skinny 32" striper. Put him back in hopes of the fish god notiicing and giving me another fight. Right at dark, wham goes the other spinner. This one took a little longer to pull in, and it took 2 try's to get him through the wash. And there he was - a beautiful 45" striper. Good fighter he was, but, the circle hook got jammed in his jaw and I had a problem getting it out. After 3 attempts to revive him, I resolved he was destined for the grill. It was a long cold day and it seems like forever since I had a day on the surf like this, but it was worth every second. I hope to get back one more time before they move on to their summer vacation homes.

1_IMG_6155.jpg.316dd222359b6a423c06be031

Nice fish and thanks for the report! :happy7:

Nice grossy ! Andrew, you know I'm in. Sam, ill give you a call tomorrow.

finally made it down to AI gave it a try from 8 in morning to about 1230 wind was terrible even 8's wouldnt hold that well swithced to hurricanes and managed to get a 26inch Black released it had one more knock down but finally decided to stop fighting the wind and wrap it up going to head back down this evening to give another try.

Dave, you are awesome... Thanks so much, bro!

Nice grossy! Yesterday, I caught my largest black drum on one of my lighter rods...educated guess, probably around 60lb's...I was pretty stoked.

Didn't see ya out there coop, I managed 5 Striper all between 33" and 39". Did catch a 37" Striper on my 8' St. Croix mojo rod, now that was fun! Sam, anytime bud. You deserve it. Ill post a few pics soon.also good fishing with Steve z, and seeing oneshot.

60lb black drum is huge! Did you get any pics?

Great job!

Didn't see ya out there coop, I managed 5 Striper all between 33" and 39". Did catch a 37" Striper on my 8' St. Croix mojo rod, now that was fun! Sam, anytime bud. You deserve it. Ill post a few pics soon.also good fishing with Steve z, and seeing oneshot.

South end from 6am till noon. Yep, caught some stripers too... The drum bite was excellent...they'd drag a striper all over the place. I would rather catch a drum but eat a striper. I actually moved where i caught some stripers, because i couldn't find any fleas for drum. Once i found a spot with fleas, i was in drum heaven. Those darn things are a blast. It was another crazy day!

Nice drum Coop! Do they hammer the flea's? And I am assuming big fresh ones?

No issues finding fleas for me, think I had a drum hit or two but didn't pick it up in time, fishing 5 rods was a chore. Coop we gotta get up some time. Ill be out sun thru Tue, hit me up maybe we can meet up. I've been fishing with Steve z quite a bit. Lets me know I'm picking good spots when he rolls up next to me to fish.

60lb black drum is huge! Did you get any pics?

Great job!

Sam, it was only 48 but was very fat, around 32. By the formula of weight, it should be around 60 but have no idea how accurate those formulas are, wish I had my boga. I do know it was the heaviest fish I ever caught. Tough just topick her up for a release. It was insanely fat and the pic doesn't do it justice. It took me awhile to get her in on my lighter rod. It was a rememerable battle!

BTW, my kids and wife are loving your pet squirrel!

drum.JPG.42e44861b6961272211d6417aac5428

Coop we gotta get up some time. Ill be out sun thru Tue, hit me up maybe we can meet up. I've been fishing with Steve z quite a bit. Lets me know I'm picking good spots when he rolls up next to me to fish.

Sounds good Dave...I may try to get out on tuesday but work has been very busy and only manage to get out once a week if Iam lucky. Figure we have 2 or 3 weeks before it really starts to slow down...then it'll be time for some kingfishing, followed by sharkin.

Are black drum edible?

I likem, but still prefer a striper. I did keep one that day, much smaller one, maybe 24". The big ones tend to have worms, which turns me off. That big one I caught had worms everywhere...yuck! The small one had no worms. I fixed that and striper side by side Tuesday and blackened them...really couldn't tell the difference, but it was heavilly blackened (spicy).