annihilation-time

Land-based Shark Fishing on Topsail Island, NC

14 posts in this topic

Every summer, I make a trip down to Topsail Island, North Carolina. We tried shark fishing for the first time last year, and had a blast. Does anyone know any shark hot spots on the island? We are happy with 6 footers in the surf at night; however, my goal is yaking out for a healthy Bull, Tiger, or Hammerhead. I hope someone here is familiar with the island.

Okay. I'll broaden the topic some. Does anyone in NC shark fish from the beach? If so, where at?

Is that legal anymore? Can't remember...

It sure is. The only states that have recently passed anti-shark fishing laws are Delaware and Florida.

Check out NCangler.com. There are some hardcore shore shark fisherman on there.

Check out NCangler.com. There are some hardcore shore shark fisherman on there.

Thanks. Will do.

annihilation-time I'm planning on going down to the wilmington area next weekend. First time fishing down there (I'm from Maryland), so I was wondering if you had found any info on areas which produce more or if you had any suggestions on which tackle shops had the freshest bait down there. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Is that legal anymore? Can't remember...

I believe Wrightsville Beach has placed a ban on fishing for shark there. I'm sure this is mostly to ensure tourists arent scared away, but I believe all other beaches in the Wilmington area allow the catch and release of sharks.

annihilation-time I'm planning on going down to the wilmington area next weekend. First time fishing down there (I'm from Maryland), so I was wondering if you had found any info on areas which produce more or if you had any suggestions on which tackle shops had the freshest bait down there. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

For bait, you want to stay away from the tackle shops. There's a fresh fish market on the island, just over the bridge, at Surf City Crab. You can buy fresh whole fish. Don't buy anything that's been gutted and/or cleaned. Spanish Mackeral and Sheep's Head works well with Yaked baits, and Drum works well in the surf (at least waist deep) after night fall. Good luck. Be sure to give us an update.

I caught a Scallop Hammer Head Shark at night from the point at Wrightsville Beach about 30 miles south of Topsil this summer but cut my line and let it go before it got beached. Wasn't about to deal with that thing in the dark and alone. It was only about 5 feet long but a blast to catch. I caught it with a live Bunker (menhaden) I netted in the wash. Must have been lost because that was it for the rest of the summer.

nice to hear, i recall the last time i was in n.c. was a few years back surf fishing for reds and of course ended up catching all the sand tigers one could ask for. dont feel bad though shark fishing up here in md was slower than average this year also. the big guys didnt show up until september. so the run didnt last long at all.

Hopefully this summer i'll be able to give more input on this area of NC since its in my backyard now.