04.17.2012 Toggin Along, Dewey's Dandy

1 post in this topic

Fish Report 4/16/12 <o:p></o:p>

Toggin Along <o:p></o:p>

Dewey's Dandy <o:p></o:p>

Of Castles & Concrete <o:p></o:p>

**************** <o:p></o:p>

New Tog Trips <o:p></o:p>

Friday & Saturday - April 20 & 21 - 6 to 5 - $125.00 - 12 Sells Out. <o:p></o:p>

Reservations Required at 410 520 2076 - Leave Your Best Contact Number In Case Weather Forecasts Change. <o:p></o:p>

NEW SIZE LIMIT IS HARDER - 16 Inches.. <o:p></o:p>

Green Crabs Provided; You're Welcome To Bring Any Hard-Bait. <o:p></o:p>

This Is Tog Fishing - It's Possible Some Clients Will Be Skunked.<o:p></o:p>

Fishery Regulations Followed Or Exceeded - Yes, We Check Coolers & Fish. <o:p></o:p>

Passage does not include exact location of fishing spots - Ever - GPS units float tested. <o:p></o:p>

No Live Fish Leave The Boat. <o:p></o:p>

Bring A Cooler w/Ice For Your Party's Fish. <o:p></o:p>

So There! (Brooks, Mel: Blazing Saddles 1974) <o:p></o:p>

*********************<o:p></o:p>

Hi All, <o:p></o:p>

Snuck out Thursday, Friday & Saturday last. Not that I'm fishing weekends, that's just how the weather's breaking.

Carried light crowds. <o:p></o:p>

A father & son team had me concerned Friday. Their first trip in the ocean; I also had 3 regulars. No fish pool, just a reef raffle - I didn't want them feeling played. <o:p></o:p>

"Here's how you put your thumb on the reel; Here's how to put the crab on: Yes, tautog actually live in our wrecks & reefs so make sure you're on the bottom.." <o:p></o:p>

Twenty-Pound Dennis, probably daydreaming about his next grandchild--and now a beautiful baby girl, finally sets the hook on a good fish. Pat, having started sooner, is bowing-up every drop. <o:p></o:p>

Meanwhile, our newbies had a one limit of good males and were already putting back large females.. Not sure who got played! <o:p></o:p>

After the bite tapered, we quickly assembled some coral-castles (see video of a SC oyster project) http://videos.thesunnews.com/vmix_hosted_apps/p/media?id=18369378&item_index=3&all=1&sort=NULL <o:p></o:p>

Made of 6 oyster-castle blocks and tied together so we could lift them over the rail with the boom's triple-fall hoist, we lowered the 3 reef-units precisely atop an older artificial reef from a two-anchor set. <o:p></o:p>

Been looking/experimenting for a long time to find/develop a boat deployable reef unit.. <o:p></o:p>

Lot of promise here. <o:p></o:p>

************** <o:p></o:p>

Saturday we returned to the hunt. I played it close to home because I though we'd see more 20 to 25 than 10 to 15 -- didn't pick up until late though. <o:p></o:p>

Anyway, it was a difficult bite. Ended up with my 91 year-old friend, Dewey, taking the pool with an 11 pounder. A couple somewhat younger guys--65 years younger--pretty much tied for second with 9s or 10s. Could have limited out most--if not all, but we tossed almost all our females back <o:p></o:p>

That day's coral castles were deployed singly on a larger reef unit as we've been doing: Guys lined-up across the stern pick up a block when I say, "Standby;" Then toss it when I say, "Mark." <o:p></o:p>

I've contacted Gus Lorber of Allied Concrete to order several more pallets of Oyster Castle blocks - Do a dozen or eighteen of these blocks every calm day - make a lot of reef in a year's time. <o:p></o:p>

Consider This: While the ASMFC has a 'rebuilding plan' for tautog, the plan has no habitat restoration component. Fishing for tog more than any party boat in Ocean City, MD; I've spent less than 2 hours on natural reef since October & spend more than 90% of our fishing time on habitat that wasn't here--didn't exist--when I started fishing from Maryland in 1980. <o:p></o:p>

Reef building created our tautog fishery - Had we not built reefs ASMFC's 'Tautog Rebuilding Plan' would only have size-limit effect on our jetties & bridge-pilings; Would have accomplished nothing along Maryland's seacoast nor anywhere reliant on oyster reef restoration for tog habitat. <o:p></o:p>

Because it must be true that Reef precedes Reef Fish, That we can not support reef species w/o reef habitat; Then it must also be true that various ratios of fish to habitat & habitat to fish can be devised to demonstrate whether conservation tactics are working. Presumably, because abundant reef habitat must be a necessity for abundant reef fish, then there must have been fantastically more reef habitat to sustain the incredibly higher catches of reef fish in the 1950s<o:p></o:p>

..until the habitat was lost. <o:p></o:p>

Present State Of Fisheries Science In The Mid-Atlantic: There is no reef habitat now and there's no reason to believe any has been lost; Reef Restoration needs no consideration in any fishery rebuilding plan in the Mid-Atlantic. <o:p></o:p>

Gonna change that. <o:p></o:p>

Not only does Reef Restoration Make Fishery Restoration Simple, in some cases Reef Restoration Makes Fishery Restoration Possible. <o:p></o:p>

*************<o:p></o:p>

Regards,<o:p></o:p>

Monty <o:p></o:p>

Capt. Monty Hawkins

mhawkins@siteone.net

Party Boat "Morning Star"

Reservation Line 410 520 2076

http://www.morningstarfishing.com/<o:p></o:p>