Finaddict

Delaware Surf fishing Report Thread

20 posts in this topic

Sorry I havent been posting for awhile, been way too busy with access issues and legislative agendas.

Anway, here we go boys and girls, winter is over and it is finally warming a bit. Fore those of who who hit the suds, please feel free to post your reports here.

Sporatic Blues, Stripers and Flounder have been snagged out of the surf, but has slowed with the cold snap the last couple of days. The Blowfish bite is pretty good in the white water and there is plenty of shorts to keep your interests peaked.

I did manage to get out finally today and caught the usual suspects of skates and spineys. I was pleased to get my fill of Blowfish and managed to stick a few shorties as well.

Please do not forget to sign the OBX petition for access in the OBX.

Hi Morty,

Isn't Blowfish what some used to call "chicken of the sea". I vaguely remember my Dad would make a cut and "Pop" out the meat somehow. Have I got the right species?

Bill (Hulk)

Bill, you are correct. Some eat them on a regular basis, but not me. Trying to release everything I catch this year. Maybe the fish Gods will allow a few more fish if I release almost everything.

Do you what I'm talking about as far the way he would clean them? I don't think I've ever caught on in the Surf

Bill

That 's the same fish that blows up and looks like spikes all over him ,ight?

BTW, what's happening in the Suds in Delaware? I'm getting a late start, My sailboat been waiting for a part and it's been wasting all my time, See you guys soon!!

Bill (Hulk)

Hit the beaches yesterday. Caught nothing but skate after skate. The guy next to me brought in a beautiful 43in striper on a bunker head. Wish it could have been mine.

Hi All,

I was wondering if anyone is familiar enough with the Marinas in the area to reccomend some to me. I have a sailboat but only need about 4 ft on the lowest water. I wanted to stay on that this year instead of the RV. I guess either off the Delaware Bay or the IRI area. Even better a nice quiet, well protected cove. Thanks Guys.

Hulk (Bill)

Hey all, I was a member of the forum before (and probably still am, just forgot my username and all that from years ago) and I figured I'd give everyone an update of the fishing.

Fished this past weekend at IRI, 3R's, and Fenwick Island, the focus was Old Inlet's spring tournament. Got down on Friday around noonish and did the paperwork for my license and registration for the tourney while my cousin (fishin' partner in crime) got his drive on. After the legal side of things were done, we hit the suds down at Fenwick: 1 kingfish in about an hour fishing and some other small bites that we didn't get a pick up on. Eventually went up to IRI and fished for tautog on the closing day; about 6 or 7 of them. My cousin and I grabbed some more bait and then a bite to eat, but immediately went back to the fishing for the incoming tide. We split off (as he has rock spikes and I don't); him going to the inlet and myself going to the upper part of 3R's. Nothing for my cuz at the inlet; 2 nice sized doggies in the surf. Were going to call it a night when we felt the fishing was gonna be good at the inlet.... so we hit the inlet once more until about 4:00 AM. Four nice stripers, all between 29" and 40".

After only about an hour and a half of sleep in the truck, we headed down to FI for the start of the tourney. Not many fish being caught around us, few blues here and there. I caught something (I recognized it, but didn't know what it was called), which brings me to my first pic below. Can anyone identify? (sorry, couldn't get a better pic).

IMG-20120512-00477.jpg.fdd0c8385f5920eea

Eventually hooked up with a nice striper (38", 20 lbs, my biggest striper to date) and landed him. Cousin also caught a blowfish and had a few nice hits, but nothing to avail. Fishing was slow, but the striper ended up landing me 3rd place in the spring tourney.

303484_406502489390096_100000910441706_1

Hope everyone in the tourney had at least some pullage! Hoping to get back down in two weeks for Memorial Day weekend to hit the suds!

Welcome back, Hulk and Tnelson!

IMG-20120512-00477.jpg.fb0e89b587f3dd6f9

Can anyone make an identification on this fish? Thinking some sort of puffer?

Fantastic few hours on the beach today. The trout action was fast and furious. The biggest I brought in was about 4lbs. They really are beautiful fish. Kept one for my dinner tonight.

I've only gotten out three times this spring, but I've found some fish. Today I got this nice 42" 26lb striper on a chunk at CHSP. I also caught 15 - 20 skates, but almost no dogfish at all.

I have about 20 bunker left over so I'll be hitting the beach at sunrise tomorrow. Stop by and say hi if you see my Subaru. I'd rather drive it on the beach than my 4wd F250. I do get some looks though:fucyc:

Last Friday I got a 33" striper at the same spot. Thursday will probably be my last surf trip till fall, then I'll be starting after the flat ones from my boat......

Now if I could just get a shot w/o my foot in the frame.......

DSCN1191.jpg.ec6d7b8fc667e9c9afb439fb9ef

DSCN1190.jpg.036a0666061c4c0cb2ba8b04e46

DSCN1187.jpg.986101869d0d751bccc9f39d827

DSCN1188.jpg.e5f04d47d6d22ceede85421ede1

Nice job! Thanks for the pics

Hey all, I was a member of the forum before (and probably still am, just forgot my username and all that from years ago) and I figured I'd give everyone an update of the fishing.

Fished this past weekend at IRI, 3R's, and Fenwick Island, the focus was Old Inlet's spring tournament. Got down on Friday around noonish and did the paperwork for my license and registration for the tourney while my cousin (fishin' partner in crime) got his drive on. After the legal side of things were done, we hit the suds down at Fenwick: 1 kingfish in about an hour fishing and some other small bites that we didn't get a pick up on. Eventually went up to IRI and fished for tautog on the closing day; about 6 or 7 of them. My cousin and I grabbed some more bait and then a bite to eat, but immediately went back to the fishing for the incoming tide. We split off (as he has rock spikes and I don't); him going to the inlet and myself going to the upper part of 3R's. Nothing for my cuz at the inlet; 2 nice sized doggies in the surf. Were going to call it a night when we felt the fishing was gonna be good at the inlet.... so we hit the inlet once more until about 4:00 AM. Four nice stripers, all between 29" and 40".

After only about an hour and a half of sleep in the truck, we headed down to FI for the start of the tourney. Not many fish being caught around us, few blues here and there. I caught something (I recognized it, but didn't know what it was called), which brings me to my first pic below. Can anyone identify? (sorry, couldn't get a better pic).

[ATTACH=CONFIG]11038[/ATTACH]

Eventually hooked up with a nice striper (38", 20 lbs, my biggest striper to date) and landed him. Cousin also caught a blowfish and had a few nice hits, but nothing to avail. Fishing was slow, but the striper ended up landing me 3rd place in the spring tourney.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]11039[/ATTACH]

Hope everyone in the tourney had at least some pullage! Hoping to get back down in two weeks for Memorial Day weekend to hit the suds!

It's a Puffer

Great reports and pix. I am sorry I have no pix to share as my time has been severly limited with access issues here in Delaware. I will not post about it here, but look for my post, unbeleivable!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

First post on this forum - glad to have come across it! We were out on Conquest Rd north of IRI on Saturday, 06/07/12, caught 2 small Hammerhead's within about 15 minutes of each other around 10am. First Hammerhead catch from the surf for me, it was pretty cool, and my kids got a kick out of it. This is a picture of the first one.

5852a5b379d6f_06_07.12HammerheadConquest

Nice pic! I stilll haven't managed to catch a hammerhead yet. I fished CHSP on Saturday. The biting flies were pretty terrible. I forgot to pack bug spray. At one point, I looked over at my buddy and he had blood running down his legs from so many bites. But regardless it was still a good day on the beach. Managed to bring in enough kingfish for a tasty dinner. I hooked on short flounder too.

Nice pic! I stilll haven't managed to catch a hammerhead yet. I fished CHSP on Saturday. The biting flies were pretty terrible. I forgot to pack bug spray. At one point, I looked over at my buddy and he had blood running down his legs from so many bites. But regardless it was still a good day on the beach. Managed to bring in enough kingfish for a tasty dinner. I hooked on short flounder too.

Would love to catch a Hammer from the surf.....nice to see AAnglers is still active....I haven't logged onto it at least a year!!