Dave

march fishing reports 2012

25 posts in this topic

Well with the warm winter I believe we should start hearing a few reports close to shore, striper are being caught offshore so get out and give it a go, post all reports and have fun.

We should be seeing a few caught from the beach soon. :icon_thumleft:

The season in the Chessie should be full slam on.

I have been painting a lot of large targets on sonar.

Side scan prints them looking like about 30 inch Stripers.

But the season in the Chessie got set back a week to 21 Apr.

sam you guys should be trying now. the big cows are moving back up the bay/coast to spawn.....

Went out yesterday. Got my first couple rock of the season. Three all around 20".

Out again today, three schoolie rock two white perch and two catfish. Not bad for two hours.

Big fat goose-egg today. But the sun was warm and the beer was cold.

Fished from Cove Point, right after slack tide 3-15-2012 from 5PM-6:50PM. Watched the clouds go by over head, wind picked up and blew the rain right on top of me. Saw birds working the water two to three hundred yards out in the channel. I got to see the majestic double rainbow, caught one Rock fish 22 inches 2lbs. Had a few more bites but missed. Not bad for fishing from the beach.

I was fishing with a guy I see there by chance every season since 2009; he had told me during this past summer his neighbor caught a three foot bull shark from the cove. I am going to run one of my sharking lines out later in the season every time I camp out and see what happens.

Mid bay was really calm today during out going tide around noon, put my kayak in the water. Trolled a red tube worm and within fifteen minutes was hooked (barbless) to a six pound, twenty six inch Rock fish in 25-30 ft of water. Only fish of the day, for four hours. Talked to my friends father today who lives on Mill creek, next to Solomons island. Big Rocks coming up to spawn, nice view from his deck. Good signs so far, I like the warmer temperatures.

Towed my Aquasport south on rt. 13 to Willis Wharf and caught my first flounder of 2012 on March 16th Friday and Saturday.Also caught flounder at Quimby.No luck at Wachapreague.Water temps in the low-mid 50's.Great to get out and wet a line.Hope you all do the same...Looking forward to early arrivals this year due to a warm winter.....

5852a5ae9cc8e_IMG_7783(2).jpg.7548c70241

5852a5aea7ca5_IMG_7785(800x759).jpg.9627

5852a5aeb33e2_IMG_7772(800x600).jpg.8ed9

Took the kayak out this morning, mid bay, right after low tide. Paddled for a couple of miles on the edge of the channel trolling the tube worm again, nothing for the first hour and a half. On my way back in I decided to troll closer to the surface. A few minutes later reel starts screaming, It had to be big because once I pulled the rod out of the holder and tightened the drag my yak was turned around and off the slay went. The fish jumped once completely out of the water.

Five minutes later the Rock was at the side of the yak, pulled out my scale and weighed it in at seventeen pounds. This fish was lurking around in shallow water too, less than fifteen feet deep. For those of you wondering if you should go out today do it. Nothing beats light tackle Rock fishing, can't keep them but they give you a fight.

Made a trip out yesterday with my cousin with intentions of catching perch with no such luck. All we caught were rockfish and catfish. I'll put a pic up as soon as I figure how to from my iPhone to get everyone's blood flowing for the upcoming surf fishing season!

Heres the pic i promised. I caught another 1 a little small but this was a fat female. All fish were released safely and stress free.

5852a5af15440_rock3-17.jpg.d58402b1e953a

Pretty fish! Great job.

Dave, are you fishing the river?

Fished Lower Susquehanna today. Several small Spent Yellow Perch, a few schoolie Rock. Small white perch in the mix. Larger Rockfish are being caught at Turkey Point, but nothing to really write home about yet.

Sam. Sure am. Went out yesterday with 10 white perch in an hour.

Water temps in the Susquehanna in the 60's already. Flats has proved to be a bust so far. Some big fish being caught above Lapidum Landing in no mans land. Herring and Shad in the river. Rockfish have seemed to skip the flats this year, unless they havent gotten here yet.

Out this Eve, one 13" perch, one 33" striper, wind was howling.

This Eve, 6 rock all mid twenties, one catfish 16" one white perch 10". Great evening.

Took the kayak out this morning, mid bay, right after low tide. Paddled for a couple of miles on the edge of the channel trolling the tube worm again, nothing for the first hour and a half. On my way back in I decided to troll closer to the surface. A few minutes later reel starts screaming, It had to be big because once I pulled the rod out of the holder and tightened the drag my yak was turned around and off the slay went. The fish jumped once completely out of the water.

Five minutes later the Rock was at the side of the yak, pulled out my scale and weighed it in at seventeen pounds. This fish was lurking around in shallow water too, less than fifteen feet deep. For those of you wondering if you should go out today do it. Nothing beats light tackle Rock fishing, can't keep them but they give you a fight.

Thanks for the good reports!!! I have a feeling its going to be a good year for a lot of people.